PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo

How do i check for a dead cylinder with autotap???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 02:37 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do i check for a dead cylinder with autotap???

On my new ls1 conversion. for the first 2 weeks i had my ls1 running my c4 vette. It seemed to run ok but idle funny. Well I ended up having a bad coil bank, and the WHOLE time the car was running on 4-cyl's on ONE side and it still didnt run bad!

Well i think i still have a dead cylinder but I dont know how to setup autotap to check for one thats not firing etc.

I didnt have any codes for the misfires even when it was on 4-cylinders and i had autotap set to "Detect total # of misfires" and it read zero even when 4 werent firing. So whats the correct way to make sure its all running right??? because the motor is VERY down on horsepower.
Old 05-27-2003, 06:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: How do i check for a dead cylinder with autotap???

Were you watching ALL of the misfire parameters under AutoTap? Down to the individual cylinders? That's what I do, and it can spot something like a loose plug wire almost instantly. It's that good.

When I'm checking misfires, I just select all of the misfire parameters, and watch them all. If one of the cylinders is moving significantly more than the others, that's the one I focus on.

Good luck.

Andrew