LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Radiator Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 03:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator Question

I am looking to replace the radiator on my 96 Z28. It is completely stock with 136k miles and will likely remain stock for some time to come. (so while I would like to purchase a BeCool radiator it is not really in my budget for this car) I'm working through some mild overheating issues and have already done most of the basic/inexpensive troubleshooting steps in order to resolve the issue. The heater core is clogged up so I assume that the radiator is in none too better shape (water pump was recently replaced however) so I was planning on replacing both at the same time. After doing some research online I have found that there is a plethora of replacement brands in the market. I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation regarding a specific brand that they liked or disliked. The same goes for vendors, since it seems that there is quite a few online shops that sell parts for LT1s online. Any assistance that you can provide is much appreciated.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:35 AM
Teching In

I replaced the radiator on my 97 trans am less then a month ago. After calling around to all the auto parts stores (oreilly's, autozone, etc...), I found that NAPA sells GM brand radiators for $193.00. The cheapest radiators at the other stores were bewteen $180-190, and i don't think they are up to GM standards (Just my opinion). With the GM radiator, I haven't had any cooling problems and I live near New Orleans where the temperatures easily reach the mid 90s.
Old 08-28-2007, 02:23 PM
Launching!

I just paid $379.00 for an all aluminum Entropy. I haven't received it yet as it takes 2 weeks to build. I will post results when I get it installed. This FL heat kills it sitting in traffic.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:55 PM
Launching!

I just got the radiator out of the box and it looks real sweet. All the mounts are in the correct places. I'll be installing this week. I will post results. This radiator looks to be a good alternative to the BeCool's and Griffins.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

new stock radiator on a 383 with slightly over 12.1 compression , so on and so forth. i stay around 190 and no higher.right now my area is 90+ degrees and humid. i am running distilled water and water wetter. so in my eyes a bigger radiator is not needed without boost or something else that would require more cooling.
Old 09-05-2007, 07:34 AM
Launching!

Since my old was taking a crap and a new stroker is on the way, I figured this would be a good time to upgrade. I don't know where you are Jason, but here in FL the summers are 95+ and the humidity is around 80% that stock POS won't cut it. I would rather be safe and run a big *** full aluminum radiator then rely on a stocker. Just my thoughts.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:02 AM
TECH Regular

I am just a little north of you in North Carolina. so far i haven't had a issue with the stocker in the days where we hit 100. I did put a entirely new factory system in though with a EWP and a 180 or 185 (can't remember the exact number) thermostat. Good luck with it, i hope i never have to upgrade mine.

Quick Reply: Radiator Question