Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rollmaster Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rollmaster Question

I just got my Rollmaster Double timing chain set from SDPC and was test fitting it to my TR227/224 cam. How tight should it be to slide over the cam dowel? it doesnt want to go on unless its forced on and i dont want to do that if its not ment to. I want to put this in soon and just want to make sure all my stuff goes together. Thanks in advance for any help

JR
Old 05-28-2003, 07:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Rollmaster Question

I have the same one; the bottom gear and chain is on and I will install the cam and put the top gear on tonight. Although I have not pre-fit the top sprocket to the cam yet, I heard here that some have had to drill the alignment hole out slightly to allow the cam pin to slide into the sprocket...

...no big deal I think; I'll let you know how mine goes tomorrow...

The biggest pain is installing the shims in the oil pump. To do this drop the oil pan (leave the back two bolts and the two bolts under the K-member in a few threads) remove the oil pump pickup tube bolt (stuff rags in between the pan and pump so you dont loose the bolt if dropped), remove the old sprocket with a gear puller, replace with the new sprocket (push on with the old sprocket and a hammer). There is a dot on the outside of the new gear; it is not the dot that is on the drive gear; this dot should be alighed at 2PM position when the other dot (cam alignment dot) is at the 12PM position. Place the new chain over the new sprocket and tie it back to something in the engine bay to keep it out of the way. Put the new o-ring on the pick-up tube, replace the oil pump on the drive sprocket. This takes a while to align the drive gears with the pump gears. Do NOT put the oil pump bolts in yet.

Replace the pick up tube making ABSOLUTELY sure the o-ring is not pushed up past the tube. Now, replace the pick up tube bolt. (Make sure this step is correct or you will have little oil pressure)

Now start a bolt or two to align the pump with the bolt holes in the block. Remove the bolts from one side and gently pry the pump back enough to slip in the shim between the block and pump. Replace the bolts through the shim but do not tighten. Repeat this process for the other side of the pump to install the second shim. When the shims and bolts are in, tighten the bolts to spec.
Old 05-28-2003, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

I helped a buddy install a TR224 and Rollmaster Double Roller a few weekends ago. We had to drill the alignment hole out some. I don't remember what size bit it was off hand though. We did have to go to Home Depot to buy it, because that size wasn't in any of our drill bit sets.
Old 05-28-2003, 03:06 PM
TECH Addict

I had the same problem. The hole was .004 smaller than my pin. I used a .250 (1/4") if I remember right to drill out the hole.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Weird, I had no problems at all. My hole fit right over the dowel with no problems.
Old 05-28-2003, 05:58 PM
TECH Addict

It was the cam dowel. We also tried the old cam gear on the new cam and it wouldn't fit either.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

I went out and bought a 1/4" (.250") drill bit also. The dowel was .249" on the cam and the hole in the cam gear is .248" so by drilling it out i should have .001" extra and w/ the gear installed on the cam it should be .0005" one each side so it should fit good. I also found a website last night that the guy said his fit tight and he just used the bolts to pull the gear onto the cam. I wanna stay away from that cause if i pull the cam back out and want to sell it i dont want the dowel to be all bitched up.

JR
Old 05-28-2003, 06:59 PM
Staging Lane

I just installed mine. It was a little snug on the cam sprocket so I just used the three cam bolts to pull it on. This seemed to work fine, however I am not sure how easy it will be to get the sprocket back of the cam in the future if the need arises.
Old 05-29-2003, 07:05 AM
TECH Veteran

I put mine on last night. I fitted the new sprocket against the new cam and the botton was a little tight. I took a 1/4 inch drill and opened the hole slightly.

It installed in the motor without any problems...