Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel trim max'd at idle??????

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 04:45 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel trim max'd at idle??????

i was having the car tuned and ran into some problems......first my maf was bad so that was replaced then i get the bad word that my fuel trim was max'd out at idle......when it's crusing they said it was fine but at idle the fuel trim is max'd out......i was told it's a vacuum leak. i have the stock ls1 intake with a adjustable freeze plug where the EGR would go and i've never had the intake off only two bolts were removed to place the nitrous brackets under them and then re tightened with a 1/4 drive ratchet, how would i check if i cracked the intake if thats even the possible problem? i sprayed starter fluid around the edge of the intake and the EGR hole and i didn't hear any change in the idle.
please help!
thanks
Old 08-28-2007, 08:37 PM
FormerVendor

Maxed out, as in too lean, or too rich?
Old 08-28-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 433 Likes on 308 Posts

If your tuner couldn't already tell you this info, RUN AWAY. You CAN'T tune without enough understanding of engines to diagnose the problem you are having. Also, if you want help here, you need to give more details.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

he said max'd out at 25 or something like that sorry i dont know exact details but i'm assuming rich because he said he needed to lean it out but i needed to figure out where the vacuum leak was.......the person tuning it said it was a vacuum leak and that i either needed to set up another appointment to have them look at it or figure it out and bring it back to them so they could finish tuning it........what other details do you need? i'll try and get them.....thanks 2000 z28 stock bottom end, heads,intake, tb, and maf........it's got bolt ons and spray
Old 08-29-2007, 12:38 PM
FormerVendor

Check for vacuum leaks and also exhaust leaks. If extra air is getting into the exhaust stream this will look like the engine is running too lean to the PCM and it will start dumping fuel on it.

Also, it would be interesting to know if this issue is affecting only one side, or both sides. Pull a spark plug from each side of the engine and see if one or both (or neither) have lots of black soot on them.
Old 08-29-2007, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

k, i had a bad exhaust leak on the passenger side but i fixed it 2 days before i brought it to them but i'm about to go install a drive shaft safety loop so while i'm down there i'll check for some leaks.....the only way that an exhaust leak would effect this is if it was before the o2 sensors right?

Quick Reply: fuel trim max'd at idle??????