Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

yet another Header Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default yet another Header Thread

I am trying to decide between XS and QTP full tube headers for my 2002 Z28. Does anyone have experience or knowledge about either of these ? (Price is a secondary concern, but still a concern)
Old 09-11-2007, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

out of those 2 QTP hands down
Old 09-11-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

QTP has a good reputation .
Old 09-11-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

im new here and just purchased my 2001 ws6, i was wondering how difficult a full header is to install and what the best long tube to get is. does anyone know what is better egr or non egr? im pretty sure most of this has been answered but im not too good at computers =X
Old 09-11-2007, 06:40 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

QTP EASILY. Get 'em while they're on sale! MPH has them for $684.99. Y-pipe are on sale, too.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/780773-quick-time-performance-headers-y-pipe-sale.html

http://www.mphparts.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=
http://www.mphparts.com/mm5/merchant...Category_Code=
Old 09-11-2007, 07:04 PM
On The Tree

If cost is secondary, go with the QTPs. I went with XS because cost was the biggest concern and I don't regret it at all. Your chances are better with the QTPs I think. I wanted QTP + true duals in stainless but that just costs too much so I have the XS for now. That sale also makes QTPs all the better right now for you.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

go with the qtp's that's what i'm saving up for, i have the xs headers. i took them off because they had my car vibrating like hell(left header rubbing k-member), but since i took them off my car now feels like a icecream truck.
Old 09-11-2007, 08:41 PM
11 Second Club

lol I got pacesetters and don't regret it.. don't use them any more because I am turbo. but never had an issue. and i got them for like 300
Old 09-11-2007, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Xs's are for people who want qtp's but cant afford them, for example, me

Originally Posted by DarkJuggalo
im new here and just purchased my 2001 ws6, i was wondering how difficult a full header is to install and what the best long tube to get is. does anyone know what is better egr or non egr? im pretty sure most of this has been answered but im not too good at computers =X
most people get rid of the egr to clean up the engine bay doesnt affect performance considerably. if you have a 2001-2002, you dont have egr anyway. i got rid of mine because the bay looks cleaner without that tube coming off the intake or the funky looking solenoid on the passenger side head
Old 09-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369
QTP EASILY. Get 'em while they're on sale! MPH has them for $684.99. Y-pipe are on sale, too.
That sale is what has made QTPs an option for me now. So far I am leaning towards them just because I have not found anyone having issues with them like the XS. Nor have I heard really of any major performance difference espcially since they are both long tubes.

Should I worry about the AIR system or just uninstall it as well ?

Last edited by bottesini; 09-11-2007 at 10:10 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

get rid of it, and tune it out. Cleans up the bay so much. That way you can just get the race headers, no AIR or EGR fittings.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:49 PM
Staging Lane

What are the problems with the XS headers? The searches I've pulled up have been pretty positive, with the usual problems with fitment/clearance with K-member, etc. all headers seem to have with our F-bodies.
I just want to understand why I should pay ~$700 vs. ~$500 for what I see being relatively the same thing, right??
Old 09-11-2007, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BucFan55
What are the problems with the XS headers? The searches I've pulled up have been pretty positive, with the usual problems with fitment/clearance with K-member, etc. all headers seem to have with our F-bodies.
That seems to be the extent of it, though I have not heard anything about QTPs having as much fitting troubles. Seems XS it is fairly common to have the drivers side be very close to the floorboard.

Originally Posted by BucFan55
I just want to understand why I should pay ~$700 vs. ~$500 for what I see being relatively the same thing, right??
That is what I have been trying to find out myself. The cost may be secondary, but if I can save money I would rather.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

I heard great things about XS at first, but now alot of people are saying that they are having terrible fitment issues. Cutting the K-member sucks, so I would suggest getting the best fitting. QTP ???
Old 09-12-2007, 02:05 AM
Banned

Hello all. I'm the one selling the XS headers. I just thought I would chime in here. So far We have sold over 90 sets of these headers to LS1tech members and only a few of the people that bought them have had any problems with fitment. We still don't know why only a few people are having problems with the drivers side header. I have these on my own WS6 with no fitment problems at all. But then again I used my car to design them. The only thing we can figure out is the variances in the way F-bodys are made causes the problems. All header companys seam to have fitment problem on some cars but with the bigger companys your lucky if they return your emails. We answer every single email we get usally the same day we get it. We got into making these headers because I'm tired of paying inflated prices for headers just because of what there for an not what they cost to make. We use 321 stainless to make our headers which is a much higher quality stainless than anyone else uses and our headers are 100% 321 stainless: Flanges, pipes, collectors, and the Y-pipe. If you do a google search you will find the difference between 321 and 304 that all the other companys use. If anyone has any questions feel free to email us at lpp@tampabay.rr.com or PM me.

Thanks,

Carl
LPP President, CEO
Old 09-12-2007, 02:32 AM
Teching In

Carl thanks for the info! It is always great to get more input on these kinds of things. it is a curious thing about the fitting issues, perhaps this is from cars that have been twisted a bit from lack of SFCs or something similar (wrecked etc). Another thing I want to point out is that Carl has been great about communticating to me considering we bounced back and forth 3 sets of emails in a few hours and he was greatly helpful in answering my questions.

I know after the first few replies her I was about to go with QTP since they have a sponser here with a good deal. Now I think I might have to lose a bit more sleep since I am back on the fence

Thanks again, and anyone else with some experience/knowledge on the subject please chime in.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:50 AM
Banned

Well I have to say you brought up an interesting question. I never thought about the fact that F-bodies are unibody construction. If someone didn't install SFC's on there car and have been running it hard for a few years it could twist the body up some on the drivers side to the point where our drivers side header collector could be close to the floor pan. Thanks for your input on this. We may have to look into adjusting the drivers side header to compensate for the twist that F-bodies go thru over time. But the down side is people without body twist will have less ground clearance. Great question tho. Now you have me thinking
Old 09-12-2007, 03:04 AM
On The Tree

i am in the same boat, i dont know which one to go with either. also the downfall to the qtp sale is that they dont have the emissions style on sale.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:08 AM
Banned

Just to let everyone know we are also working on an emission setup with emission headers and a catted Y. And we are going to make the catted Y also fit the Race headers.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:16 AM
On The Tree

you dont have emissions headers yet?