Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Why my dad bought his Z28 Camaro...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why my dad bought his Z28 Camaro...

Hello,

I'm Nathan and my dad is Larry. My dad and I have always loved fast cars and test driving fast cars. My dad always says the best part about shopping for a car is looking and test driving.

Well, we have been looking for a fast car since I was 7 years old. Back in 1988 my dad and I arrived at a Columbus Chevy dealership in our 1984 Olds Firenza station wagon rated at 84 hp. My dad didn't look like the type of guy who would by a 1987 Corvette. However, that was the car he was there for. It may have been a drive by spotting of the vette or maybe he saw it in a newspaper. Sure enough the salesman gave my dad the keys to the red vette with red leather interior and he took me on a ride I'll never forget. We took it back to our house and all the neighbors were outside and the looks on their faces were priceless. This was not a neighborhood where you see late model corvettes roll through. The most common Chevy in my neighborhood was a Celebrity. We brought it back to the salesman and my dad's famous "I have to talk it over with my wife routine" works everytime and makes for a quick getaway.

20 years of test drives ended Sunday. My dad and I were heavily leaning toward a Mustang. We test drove a Bullitt, Mach 1, and 2001 Cobra convertible all in one day from different dealerships. We drove the Mach 1 to another dealership to look at the Cobra and test drive it. I thought that was great. After all that driving we decided the 2001 Cobra convertible was what we liked best. The Cobra convertible was priced at $17,500. Marked down from $18,500 at a dealer.

I got on autotrader later that night and found a 2001 Cobra with a Roush sport package for $15,999. The problem was it was 180 miles away. We talked to the seller on the phone and he emailed more pictures and it looked like it would be worth the trip. We tried to get the seller to meet us half way and he wouldn't. We decided to head up and it looked great from 20 feet away but as I approached I saw something way beyond a crack in the leather. This was more like a tear with foam sticking out. This was the least of the cars problems. My dad asked the seller to pop the trunk and it was soaking wet. My dad said, "It is soaking wet in the trunk!" To which the seller replied, "Yeah, it has about 66,000 miles on it." The convertible top was not only faded and frayed it was leaking badly. The radio would beep and buzz from time to time. Which the seller failed to mention. Also, it needed tires. The performance was still there. This guy was the third owner and he paid $20k a year ago and owed $16,800 on it. I'd say it needed about $5k in repairs. It was a big letdown.

So there we were in Michigan with one prospect that didn't pan out. Luckily we had my dad's laptop and got on autotrader and found two Camaros about 30 miles away. We checked out the first one and we were very impressed. As soon as I got behind the wheel of the Camaro I forgot what a Mustang was!

I didn't even want to look at the car that was 3rd and last on my list but my dad insisted.

We arrived at a car wash where we planned to meet our last seller. My dad saw the car approaching and told me thar this last car looks better than the one we just drove. I was doubtful. However, as the car pulled into the parking lot both my dad and I were awestruck.

The seller got out and introduced himself. I could tell this guy knew his stuff. He popped the hood and it looked amazing! My dad and I were blown away! Then, we found out he was the original owner. My dad and I both loved all of the appearence mods. The perfomance mods were like a bonus because I know these cars are fast stock. The "service engine soon" light wasn't even illuminated in this last car. The first Camaro's SES light was on but the owner assurred us it was just because the cats were missing.

I can't wait to take pictures of my dad's new car next to my car. My car is white and it should contrast nicely with the black Camaro. Oh, and my dad's car puts down double the horsepower to the wheels as my Eclipse GTS, 170ish versus 345!

I let my dad drive my car a lot so I expect him to return the favor. Plus I'll fill it up with premium when I'm done. That should make him happy.

Sorry for such a long story. I look forward to checking out more of ls1tech site.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

That was a great story. I wish we had more intros like this on here. Man we have to see some pics. Were you up on 23 in Michigan, sounds like you would of been in that area? Excited for you and your dad. In compairson to the mustangs, how much more power did you notice with the Camaro? Nice, Im glad I read this story, made my night.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:18 AM
On The Tree

Welcome, to LS1 tech. Might see you around town as i live in Gahanna also. enjoy the car!!
Old 09-12-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Addict

Congrats, glad to here you didnt make a mistake and end up with a mustang, lol
Old 09-12-2007, 10:25 AM
Staging Lane

Good to see you saw the light!
Old 09-12-2007, 10:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...columbus+folks

im from chillicothe, but i make it up to c-bus once in a while. check out the columbus thread and start racing with us. you dont happen to have a connection at the budweiser plant do you?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Aw jeez Nathan, you're making me blush... hahaha

Now come get the car already before I change my mind!!! Glad you guys are excited to have it, I've really enjoyed the car and it feels good seeing someone else who enjoys what I've done with it. Do lots of searches on the board here and you'll find tips on everything from hp gains to polishing tricks to ways to save money on mods.

See ya soon.
Old 09-12-2007, 03:05 PM
Banned

Great to have you here. Jake and I also live in Ohio.

I loved the comment, after the test drives, checking with the wife before being able to buy. HA! HA! That's real funny since I am in the automobile business being paid to sell vehicles. Here is my take on this, hope you don't mind!!

All customers need to be qualified. Yes, I do allow people out the door for a test drive before being seriously interviewed in some cases.BUT not high performance vehicles. If I don't get the right answers a several questions, there is no test drive. A car dealership isn't the place to JOY RIDE. It's a business.................Kings Island is down the road from you. They charge to park your car, they charge to get through the gate.

The person who bought the Corvette you and your dad took a Joy Ride in has the right to know, at my dealership, their new used car wasn't abused. Can you understand that?

You and your dad are invited ANY THURSDAY to race your new ride against others. For 15.00 you can run as many times as you want at a track called Kil Kare. There are GM products there I've been told have run 7's. Much better traction than National Trail and less money to race. That's my tip for the day..
Old 09-12-2007, 03:15 PM
Teching In

Here is a picture...
Old 09-12-2007, 03:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
Great to have you here. Jake and I also live in Ohio.

I loved the comment, after the test drives, checking with the wife before being able to buy. HA! HA! That's real funny since I am in the automobile business being paid to sell vehicles. Here is my take on this, hope you don't mind!!

All customers need to be qualified. Yes, I do allow people out the door for a test drive before being seriously interviewed in some cases.BUT not high performance vehicles. If I don't get the right answers a several questions, there is no test drive. A car dealership isn't the place to JOY RIDE. It's a business.................Kings Island is down the road from you. They charge to park your car, they charge to get through the gate.

The person who bought the Corvette you and your dad took a Joy Ride in has the right to know, at my dealership, their new used car wasn't abused. Can you understand that?

You and your dad are invited ANY THURSDAY to race your new ride against others. For 15.00 you can run as many times as you want at a track called Kil Kare. There are GM products there I've been told have run 7's. Much better traction than National Trail and less money to race. That's my tip for the day..
Hi Jake, I wasn't expecting a car salesman to read this. I stand by the fact that everything my father and I did was legal in Ohio.

You seem cool though. I'm also upset that I didn't get hired as a car salesman when I know more about the car that 99% of the salesman. I gave the man an education on the Bullitt and the Mach 1. The Mach 1 salesman said the Mach 1 has 345 hp, lol. The blower (as he called it) made the additional 20 over the GT. Nice one.

I don't doubt that you know your stuff when it comes to selling cars. Are you selling GM?
Old 09-12-2007, 03:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bww3588
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...columbus+folks

im from chillicothe, but i make it up to c-bus once in a while. check out the columbus thread and start racing with us. you dont happen to have a connection at the budweiser plant do you?
My only connection to the Budweiser plant is that I can smell it as I drive by on 270, does that count?
Old 09-12-2007, 04:56 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love the "I need to talk to my wife" comment. My Dad uses the same one. Congrats on the new car. That thing is sharp looking.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Resident

sup man, good story. glad you didnt buy the stang..
Old 09-12-2007, 06:35 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Smokin00WS6
That was a great story. I wish we had more intros like this on here. Man we have to see some pics. Were you up on 23 in Michigan, sounds like you would of been in that area? Excited for you and your dad. In compairson to the mustangs, how much more power did you notice with the Camaro? Nice, Im glad I read this story, made my night.
Power difference between the Mustangs and the Camaros were night and day difference. All 4 Mustangs were stock, 265 hp (Bullitt), 305 hp (Mach 1), and 320 hp (2001 Cobra), and probably 320 hp (2001 Roush Cobra- Side Exhaust good for any power increase?). The Camaros I drove were about 350hp and 390hp at the flywheel with more torque as well. The Camaros felt more solid as well.

My friend has a Bullitt Mustang which made my dad and I interested in it. My neighbor had one as well. My neighbor tried to sell his (21,000 miles) for $14k for about a week. Then traded it to a Mazda dealer for a Mazda 3. He didn't even give us time to think about it. Which is good because we ended up with the Camaro. We saw it at Mazda Direct and took it on a series of test drives. Problem was the A/C didn't work and it needed tires. The price had jumped to $17k as well. They did a band aid fix on the A/C and refused to put new tires on it. So we continued looking. Carmax had a Bullitt as well. I thought these cars were rare, lol! I've seen more Bullitt mustangs than LS1 Camaros lately.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MM ZXXVIII
Power difference between the Mustangs and the Camaros were night and day difference. All 4 Mustangs were stock, 265 hp (Bullitt), 305 hp (Mach 1), and 320 hp (2001 Cobra), and probably 320 hp (2001 Roush Cobra- Side Exhaust good for any power increase?). The Camaros I drove were about 350hp and 390hp at the flywheel with more torque as well. The Camaros felt more solid as well.

My friend has a Bullitt Mustang which made my dad and I interested in it. My neighbor had one as well. My neighbor tried to sell his (21,000 miles) for $14k for about a week. Then traded it to a Mazda dealer for a Mazda 3. He didn't even give us time to think about it. Which is good because we ended up with the Camaro. We saw it at Mazda Direct and took it on a series of test drives. Problem was the A/C didn't work and it needed tires. The price had jumped to $17k as well. They did a band aid fix on the A/C and refused to put new tires on it. So we continued looking. Carmax had a Bullitt as well. I thought these cars were rare, lol! I've seen more Bullitt mustangs than LS1 Camaros lately.
Awesome, sounds like a great ride. I love the picture of it, I love everything about it. Congrats again.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

how wide are your back wheels? nice car man.
Old 09-13-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MM ZXXVIII
No replacement for displacement...
Old 09-13-2007, 01:45 PM
Staging Lane

There's a name for people like you and your dad in the car business- Peter Pans- off in dreamland imagining they can buy a high end sports car when they're really just losers who will say anyhting to get a ride in someone else's vehicle. If you or your dad tried that at any store I'd worked at you'd be out the door so fast your head would spin.

You do realize normal people go to dealerships to buy cars not put miles on them for the eventual owner. Fools like you wreck thousands of cars on test drives each year, driving up insurance costs which in turn drives up dealers costs which means they have to make more money on each car sold. Nice job.
Old 09-13-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default damn dude

dude chill out man... they were actually serious buyers... thats why you TEST DRIVE is so you dont have to buy it and then be like o ****... this isnt what i wanted.... that was a noob post man... he got a new car be happy for him.... and for the new car owner.. congrats... o and btw.... BOTH your neighbors having mustangs should have been a dead giveaway that they are waaaaay too common lol.... glad you didnt get the stang man.... good luck with future mods..
Old 09-13-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by whiteghost
There's a name for people like you and your dad in the car business- Peter Pans- off in dreamland imagining they can buy a high end sports car when they're really just losers who will say anyhting to get a ride in someone else's vehicle. If you or your dad tried that at any store I'd worked at you'd be out the door so fast your head would spin.

You do realize normal people go to dealerships to buy cars not put miles on them for the eventual owner. Fools like you wreck thousands of cars on test drives each year, driving up insurance costs which in turn drives up dealers costs which means they have to make more money on each car sold. Nice job.
So let me get this straight, you, as a car salesman, are better than him?