General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car stumbles, RPM'sdrop below 500, help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car stumbles, RPM'sdrop below 500, help!

Car almost feels like its out of gas, gas gauge shows 1/8 of a tank and im pretty sure theres gas in there. Usually get about 20-30 more miles, and the Check Gauges light isn't on. At first it would just kind of happen cruising in say 4th, at like 1100. I accelerate just a tad and its just stumbles. Then RPMs may drop down to 400-500 and then after a sec I shift or w/e and it drives fine for a bit. Then I got about a block from my house and its like i'm out of gas. Car about to die, cant accelerate in any gear. Cant even clutch in and rev. Car felt like it was gonna die but never did. It seemed to rev back up again when I got in my drive way. Luckily I live on a hill and was able to make it home. Any ideas? Car has 105k not sure when last fuel filter change was.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Obviously you should go get it scanned, even if you have no SES light. Our cars can have many different problems that will not give an SES light, but the code will show up on a scan.

Your symptoms sound exactly like bad 02 sensor(s).

Go to Advance Auto, the scan is free. But it would be better to use an OBDII which can see how each component is working.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:23 PM
Staging Lane

that or a bad 1/8 of gas or a bad tps sensor as well. Mine was doing exactly what yours is. switched to chevron from shell and replaced my tps sensor and it fixed it.