Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volant CAI

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 02:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Volant CAI

Couple questions for you guys... I know everyone says just go with a lid... but frankly i'm about to pull my hair out because half the people say their lids fit fine while the other half say they fit like ****... I was debating between the MTI Clear Lid with the Holley Powershot Filter, or maybe the SLP lid... leaning more towards the MTI lid...

I know not many people out there have the Volant intake, but besides it's bitchen looks i've also got an actual WS.6 so it would make more since for me to have it over the regular TA...

Not to mention... i've found the setup for about $250 which is about $100 more than a lid and filter... but I don't see how I would have the sealing problems with this setup that everyone seems to be having with the lids...

I notice it has it's own little compartment that the filters go into... would this be sort of its own "seal" much like the BGRA mod...? Also I notice two different holes in the pic which i circled below in red... I'm guessing the left one is for the IAT sensor... but what the hell is the small little filter on the right for with the little nipple on the outside? I don't have anything on my car that I can think of that would plug into that...

Old 09-15-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the small filter is for the air pump hose to connect to. If I remember right the 98-00 cars didnt have them on the intake.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Andros
the small filter is for the air pump hose to connect to. If I remember right the 98-00 cars didnt have them on the intake.
He's correct, but... I don't know what years had an Air pump and which ones don't. My '00 WS6 had an air pump 'til I took it out. I still have the filter plugged in, but only to fill the hole 'til I find a flat plut for it.

BTW, the Volant box was designed for the underside of a non-ram air hood. So, the WS6 hood will not seal to it without a very slight modification. You'll need to go to Lowe's or Home Depot (look in the plumbing dept) and get a length of foam copper pipe insulation. It comes in six foot lengths and has a split already made right dow the middle with self adhesive tape ready to go. It's costs no more than three bucks and is easy to slip over the boxes existing rubber seal. Once the foam is on, your box will now seal to the hood. Mine works great!

Marc
Old 09-15-2007, 06:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Well I do have an "AIR" system in my car... it just doesn't plug into the box anywhere I guess... Mine's a '99 so...

how was the fit of the Volant Marc? What are you using for your bellows in place of the stock accordian...?
Old 09-15-2007, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

My AIR tube ran to the right hand side (as you're looking at the engine) of my stock airbox (upper portion that the Volant box replaced).

The box fits fine and attaches to the upper radiator support with just two bolts. I used the stock bellows. I've read a couple threads where people tried to use a smooth bellows and they don't seem to line up properly. Maybe it was the type of bellows they used or maybe none of them work. I dunno.

I've had my Volant installed for probably three years and have never had a problem with it. I like the looks and so have most people I've run into. It also performs at least as well as a lid... maybe a little better considering my car's a WS6. I'd suspect it probably only works as well as a lid on all Camaros (even the SS seeing as the ram air duct has a 180 degree bend in it) and non-ram air Firebirds.

Marc
Old 09-15-2007, 09:28 PM
TECH Junkie

got any pics?
Old 09-16-2007, 02:44 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm wondering if i'm gonna have any issues installing this with my Be Cool radiator since the volant seems to have something to do with the radiator support...
Old 09-16-2007, 04:44 PM
Staging Lane

I run a LG supercool radiator, and a SLP lid, fit like a glove. Although I'm sure their all considered to be "case sensitive"

happy modding
Old 09-16-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chefman's_TA
I run a LG supercool radiator, and a SLP lid, fit like a glove. Although I'm sure their all considered to be "case sensitive"

happy modding
I'm sure i'll have no problem with the radiator if I go lid style... but I'm more worried about the Volant fitting correctley...

currently i've got a TSP lid that i'm gonna sell when it comes time... but it fits fine with the Be Cool radiator because I still use the stock radiator support with it... not sure if the volant replaces the stock radiator support or how it works exactley
Old 09-17-2007, 06:15 AM
12 Second Club

I have the Volant and I love it, but i had to modify a few things. I am running a SLP MAF and the smooth bellows. Had to do some cutting on the hole in the center for everything to hook up, but it looks great and fits like a glove now
Old 09-17-2007, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fatdave
I have the Volant and I love it, but i had to modify a few things. I am running a SLP MAF and the smooth bellows. Had to do some cutting on the hole in the center for everything to hook up, but it looks great and fits like a glove now
Got Pics?
Old 09-17-2007, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Soul TKR
...not sure if the volant replaces the stock radiator support or how it works exactley
I'll try and get you some pics tonight. I have some on my home PC.

The Volant box doesn't replace the radiator support. It just sits on top of it and has a lip on the back side of the box that pinches the back side of the radiator. So, if you have an aftermarket radiator... so long as it's close the original radiators demensions, you should be good.

Marc
Old 09-17-2007, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got an older volant where it has one filter that looks like the k&n fipk . on it i had to replace the original lower air box part that holds the radiator . there is only a small lip on the back and has a swivel mount to bolt it on with .
i have had lids and do enjoy my volant over them .
Old 09-17-2007, 01:16 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by nytmare1
I'll try and get you some pics tonight. I have some on my home PC.

The Volant box doesn't replace the radiator support. It just sits on top of it and has a lip on the back side of the box that pinches the back side of the radiator. So, if you have an aftermarket radiator... so long as it's close the original radiators demensions, you should be good.

Marc
it's really much bigger...

Old 09-17-2007, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

i ordered my volant hsould be here today or tommorow.
Old 09-17-2007, 06:17 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 99DWPTA
i ordered my volant hsould be here today or tommorow.
take some pics of the intake and install if you could!
Old 09-17-2007, 06:52 PM
12 Second Club

i'll get some pics. i had a slp induction system before this so ui still have the slp smooth below. gonna see how well it works or if i have to modify anythign
Old 09-17-2007, 07:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by snake charmer
i got an older volant where it has one filter that looks like the k&n fipk . on it i had to replace the original lower air box part that holds the radiator . there is only a small lip on the back and has a swivel mount to bolt it on with .
i have had lids and do enjoy my volant over them .
That is the filter style Volant uses for Camaro's I believe. I am pretty sure the box is the same.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Soul TKR: What's your e-mail address? I tried using the e-mail option here on the site, but it won't let me attach pics. Send me a PM or somethin'...
Old 09-17-2007, 09:10 PM
Teching In

I put the Volant on my 02 CETA WS6, and I love how it looks over the lid IMO. Here's a couple of things, the box replaces the stock plastic tray the lid goes on that helps support the radiator, I had the SLP smooth bellows and mine too did not line up properly so I had to go back to the stock accordian. When installing the unit, my MAF was a bitch to put on, I have the granatelli one, and I had to dremel the plastic tube the filter's go on a little bit till it snapped in. I do have some pics but I don't know how to post pics, but have no trouble emailing them to you or someone who can post them for me. My email is ajkania1@verizon.net sorry for the long read hope this helps