Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Missed 3rd, ruined 5th, couple ??

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 05:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Missed 3rd, ruined 5th, couple ??

So after a night at the track, I pulled the car off the trailer and took it for a little ride. It was hit pretty hard the night before and on one run, 3rd was missed, I wasn't driving. I took it around the block and went through 1 - 4 with no problems. Today I take it out and find out 5th is wasted. Maybe a fork but when I put in 5th it feels like it goes in but grinds like crazy when I let the clutch out.

Question... Can I screw this thing up more if I continue to drive it using only 1 - 4? Would sure like to get some more runs in prior to winter. Then I think I'll send to Amber and Joe and get it done right...

Thanks In Advance
Old 09-16-2007, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

no it should be fine, i dont have 5th i just go 4th to 6th on the highway. just dont use 5th
Old 09-16-2007, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No you will be fine just keep in mind if there is material floating around in there it will hurt everything else. Change the fluid if you don't fix it right away.

Amber
Old 09-16-2007, 11:10 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks All...

Hey Amber, I'll give you a call this week. Next time this thing comes out it's going in a Wal-Mart container and taking a trip to Texas. Need to talk about this winters project.

Chuck
Old 09-16-2007, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Yea you can skip it. I've been skipping 2nd for quite some time now. 2nd acts like Neutral I think I sheered a key off. I don't have the kinda money most of you guys do so when I get a couple hundred dollars up I'm doing the tear down myself. I just cannot afford like 200 to ship it then what 900 or so for sixspeeds inc to rebuild it. I sure wish I could though. I just had to do the clutch on mine today due to the fork ripping off the front of the throwout bearing. Now I still can't drive the car 7 miles to work tomorrow because I need to hopefully just bleed the hydrolics. Its real notchy and takes a bit of effort to change gears. I don't think the clutch disengages all the way either. I was sitting flat and thought I came to a complete stop on a test drive. Had my foot on the clutch and in 1st the car was rolling forward a little. It also isn't as firm as it used to be. I'm hoping when the flange busted on the throwout bearing it didn't cause the slave to extend the rod too far out.
Old 09-16-2007, 10:57 PM
11 Second Club

If 2nd feel like neutral, you probably sheered the teeth off of the syncro side of second. Feels like it goes in but when you let the clutch out - nothing.

Ask me how I know this...
Old 09-16-2007, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by chuckyt1
If 2nd feel like neutral, you probably sheered the teeth off of the syncro side of second. Feels like it goes in but when you let the clutch out - nothing.

Ask me how I know this...
Yea it will go into 2nd and stay there. Not pop out like a syncro is bad. I can let out of the clutch and nothing happens it will just roll when in 2nd.

I wasn't driving it hard or anything. I was heading to work eh like dec jan sometime in there. Leaving a light shifted from 1st to 2nd It pulled maybe 30 feet in traffic. Then I just hear a POP and it revved up. I could hear this plain as day over my radio which was cranked. I slowed down shifted to 1st it pulled then shifted back into 2nd and nothing. :-( So I have been driving around skipping 2nd for going on a year no I'd guess. All because I'm still trying to dig myself out of a hole from when I was out of work last year for 3 months. I had to put in a cheapo oem replacement clutch kit today from oreillys list price was 199 on it, but I got it for 179 because my girlfriend runs a shop. So it wasn't too bad of a price for now. When ever I win the lottery so i can buy the puller from Sixspeedsinc. and have several hundred dollars for what ever parts need to be replaced I will more then likely put a decent clutch back in it since I will be right there anyway. I just hope bleeding it will fix my problem or it will be the 2nd week of next month before I can drive my car. I have to pay rent with my next two paychecks. Jesus Child support kicks you where it counts. Cheating ex.

Quick Reply: Missed 3rd, ruined 5th, couple ??