LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need help on replacing valve seals...

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 05:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need help on replacing valve seals...

Ok discovered the other day while changing my spark plugs on the new engine ( about 8-9k miles on it) that the 2 plugs in the middle on driver side had oil on threads. All others were great. I was also burning oil about 2 months after oil change. Low oil light would come on when it was not time to change oil yet..

Anyways i know i need a spring compressor tool. I have to order the vavle seals from autozone (felpro/viton ones). I also have a air compressor that i can use so the vavle will not drop into the cyclinder wall..

I have never done this job before so i do not know what to expect. I have done plenty of other hard jobs, opti replace, water pump replace, spark plug replace, long tube install, oil pan drop, etc....

So what are the steps in order to do this, plus what tools do i need. I have heard of something you can place in the spark plug hole and use the compressor to blow air in there, but do not know what it is...

Any help would be great...

Thanks

Randy
Old 09-17-2007, 11:24 AM
12 Second Club

i know someone does ?
Old 11-01-2007, 11:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you ever find your answer? I might be trying to tackle this one on my own also and dont know where to start!
Old 11-01-2007, 03:42 PM
12 Second Club

Kinda but i never attempted it yet. I know you have to pull the vavle cover, take off rocker, take off spring with spring compressor, then the valve seal should come off..
Old 11-01-2007, 04:10 PM
Launching!

Wish I could offer some advice as I had my valve seals replaced...one thing I can tell you is if you decide to have a shop do it, call a BUNCH of places.

The first 5 shops I called quoted over $1200 to do it....saying they needed to take the heads off and whatnot. The 6th shop I called told me they couldnt do it...yeah they said they weren't capable of replacing valve seals? wtf.

Finally I called a local shop, that was recommended to me and they did the job for $300. Cant really complain about the price and great service. Anyway I guess Im just happy that I found some place that did it for cheap, relatively speaking...sorry I cant help ya!

edit: after a quick search I found this link for a L98 vette...should be pretty similar. http://vettenet.org/vlvseals.html
Old 11-01-2007, 07:50 PM
11 Second Club

use this ; http://shbox.com/ci/valve_spring_swap.html

worked for me! and you don't neeed the air either. valve will only drop about an inch if you follow the directions.

this homemade tool worked awsome! both valves at the same time!

Old 11-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Teching In

i just changed mine about 2 months ago. it was the first time i ever did it and it was not that hard. the hardest part was getting the keepers back in the retainers. i used crane teflon seals and got them from summit.
i used lots of oil on the valves to slide the seals down. i also used a deep socket to push on the seal over the valve and onto the guide. you have to be very careful or you will break the seal. it took me @5-6 seals till i got the hang of it, then it was easy after that. yes i had to buy 2 packs of seal to do all 16
to hold the valves up i used my leakdown tester. but i just used the hose that goes from the tester to the plug hole and pluged my airhose right to it.
also, when you get the springs off, check your spring shims and cups or locaters. whichever you have. mine were wearing thru from the springs so i had to change all my shims and cups. if you need any help just let me know.
good luck!!
Old 11-02-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea go with Shoebox's website has pretty good instructions

you dont really need to blow air in there, honestly it takes longer, just take the piston your working on to TDC and the valves wont fall in.

then compress the springs pull them off and pull out the old seals with pliers, lube up the new seals and tap them down carefully, I used a deep socket and fit around the seal

good luck

MAKE SURE YOU LUBE THE NEW SEALS!!!!

Quick Reply: Need help on replacing valve seals...