Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

Newbie Ford Man

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Ford Man

Ok, in the tradition of complete honesty...I am and have been a life long Ford man. There's not much I don't know about Fords.

I am ashamed to admit that I know nothing about GM motors, except the displacements, 305, 350, 400, 454...etc...

I would like to more about GM's engine technology, and what the LTx and LSx designations mean...etc.

Hopefully, we put aside our Ford/Chevy differences and you GM guys can direct me to some good information. I'm just curious, after all, I think us American car guys should stick together and squash this import nonsense anyway.

Thank and Cheers in advance...
Old 09-17-2007, 06:33 PM
10 Second Club

Glad you made the switch you wont regret it, well LT1 and LS1 really dont have a designation as far as i know, they are just that era's vette motor. LT1's are iron block, aluminum heads, reverse flow coolant heads, 4.0" bore 3.48" stroke, 350 CI. they usually put 250-260 HP to the ground and a big flaw in them is the Opti-spark . The LS1(98-02 f-bods) is and all aluminum block and heads, 3.9" bore, 3.625 stroke, 346 CI they usually put 300-310 to the ground and run low 13's in the 1/4. very good engine and has no major flaws, thats a basic overview of the LT1 and LS1 hope it helps a little.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:00 PM
On The Tree

Welcome, you joined the right site for knowledge on these cars. People here are very helpful. There are a few current Mustang owners that post here all the time, most of them are cool, so you won't feel out of place.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:22 PM
Banned

Welcome.

You're going from Domestic to Domestic, so its all good

There are plenty of nice Fords (Mach 1, Cobra, ect), I just happen to prefer GM
Old 09-17-2007, 11:23 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

welcome aboard. hope you like what you see enough to make the switch from ford blue blood to the bowtie.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:45 AM
Teching In

Thanks guys for the polite welcome. Even though I am a Ford fan, I appreciate A LOT of GM cars, in fact I love the '67 Z28, any GTO, and gotta admit...the Olds 442 has always been one bada$$ ride. In my 22 years of driving experience, I have owned a few Cutlasses, a '75 Camaro, and an '82 Trans Am (fullfilling a childhood fantasy of owning knight rider )

Gotta admit, not a huge fan of the F-body after that one, but I respect GM putting a 5.7L in the later ones. One thing that always frustrated me about Ford is their tenacity to stick with small displacement engines in the 80's. I think if they would've put a 351W in a Fox body Mustang, we could've competed better with you guys...but oh well. I gotta S197 'stang I've been modding for the past year, and I am looking forward to the new Camaro coming out in '09. Good to see that car coming back.

But thanks again for the warm welcome and I look forward to exchanging ideas and learning more about the GM world!
Old 09-18-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome and if you want to learn just browse through all the forums and read about people problems and how they are solved. That is what i did
Old 09-18-2007, 12:26 PM
Banned

Glad to see you're eyes are open. There have always been different car brands. Never looking outside the box, at different brands besides of the one you own, makes for a dull life.

I've been in and out of the car business a long time, I sell Chevrolet today. Of all the demo's I've ever driven my top two were a 1970 Olds W-30 auto with a factory 4:33 and the 04 Mazda Speed Turbo Miata.

There are some nice rides here. There are some folks here who never get out to smell the flowers on the other side of the street.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:41 AM

yep i too just recently joind this board too, ive owned about 9 differnt mustangs, thats not counting the mustang projects i never finished and the 2001 lightning i had for a year, i had a few older F bodys scatterd in there, though i never have really ben brand loyal, couple years ago i fullfilled my childhood fantasy that never stopped owning a 87 buick grand national, i will never part with that car, it just opend my door to gm, i bought a 95 z28, in a few weeks when i get back in town im going to be buying a M6 ss, so this stuff is deffenatly addicting as fords, you should come up to the street fights at bristol some time, its only bout hour and a half from you, i only live couple hours north of asheville myself.