Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

I need some help

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 08:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need some help

I just got this car last Wednesday, and the dealer told me that they replaced the pinion seal because of the normal leak that the rear diffs always have at about 70k. Well after driving it 500-600 miles, the rear started making a noise. I checked the fluid and it was about 2 inches low from the inspection hole. It was also still leaking at the seal. I took the car to a local dealer and they told me that the pinion bearing is damaged and the fluid was burnt, so they replaced the seal and changed the fluid. They also told me that if it's not fixed soon it could cause more damage. Here's my questions.

1. How much damage can be done with this as a problem? (i.e. is my torsen and other internal parts toast?)
2. Is it as easy as changing the pinion bearing and the fluid again?

I have a spare rear that I bought to put in the car I just got rid of and it only has 14k miles on it. The only problem is the 01 SS is a 3 channel rear and the spare rear that I have is a 4 channel rear.

3. Is there anything I can use this spare for to replace the bad parts of my current one with or will it be too big of a hassle?

I'm a newbie to rear diffs. I know how to swap complete axles, but haven't had to deal with internal problems with them yet. What would you guys do if you were in my situation?

Thanks in advance for the help/advice. Right now, I'm having to drive this car to work because my wife's car is in the shop and I don't want to have to drive the Chevelle because my commute it close to 70 miles a day.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

if the car is a 4 channel and you have teh spare 4 channel rear i would just swap it
Old 09-18-2007, 09:17 AM
12 Second Club

My car doesn't have traction control. It's a 3 channel car. The rear I have is a 4 channel rear with traction control. I wish it was the same then it would be a simple swap. I've called a shop this morning and I'm going at lunch to let them check it out for me.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

how did the dealer come to the comclusion it was indeed a pinion bearing? If so which one, inner or outer, did they check for pits or scoring on the carrier berings as well?
Old 09-18-2007, 09:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

how did the dealer come to the conclusion it was indeed a pinion bearing? If so which one, inner or outer, did they check for pits or scoring on the carrier berings as well?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by alamantia
how did the dealer come to the comclusion it was indeed a pinion bearing? If so which one, inner or outer, did they check for pits or scoring on the carrier berings as well?
I think they just said that because of the condition of the fluid or something. They didn't tear it down to check so I think they just assumed it was.

Well, against my better judgement I drove the Camaro this morning, and what do you know halfway to work this morning the noise goes away and you can barely hear it. I did take it to a mechanic at lunch and we drove it and the noise is barely noticeable now. Hell, my 99's rear was louder than this one is now. I felt kinda stupid telling the mechanic that the noise was 10 times louder than it is now. We did put it up on the rack and about the only thing we could find that could cause the noise is the rear ujoint seems a little loose. I told him to go ahead and fix that and I'll see how it does today and in the morning.

I'm almost thinking that the fluid that was changed yesterday was probably the original or close to it. It's weird though that after changing it yesterday it was still noisy and then halfway to work this morning the noise started getting less and less.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:14 PM
12 Second Club

Well, the rear went out today. I'm at a loss of what to do. Tell me again what kind of problems I would have if I put the 4 channel rear in place of the 3 channel. I know there would be a problem with the abs, but would the car drive normally otherwise?