Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Removing unwanted/un-needed wiring

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 01:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing unwanted/un-needed wiring

I am in the begining phases of removing as much weight as possible from my car. However, after searching for awhile and not finding any good info I figured I'd post up and ask. I am wanting to take out all wiring that is not needed to make the car go straight. It will be a 95% track car and spend about 5% of the time cruising to meet and greets. I am looking for a write up or something similar to remove all the wiring I can. When I say all wiring I mean engine bay, under dash, and rest of the car. If anyine has any experiance or write up would be appreciated, or is the best way to just grab a Chiltons manual and go to town? Thanks is advanced.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by zspot98
I am in the begining phases of removing as much weight as possible from my car. However, after searching for awhile and not finding any good info I figured I'd post up and ask. I am wanting to take out all wiring that is not needed to make the car go straight. It will be a 95% track car and spend about 5% of the time cruising to meet and greets. I am looking for a write up or something similar to remove all the wiring I can. When I say all wiring I mean engine bay, under dash, and rest of the car. If anyine has any experiance or write up would be appreciated, or is the best way to just grab a Chiltons manual and go to town? Thanks is advanced.
I'm doin the same thing right now, from what i've seen, there really is no write up, but i've gotten a lot of help from the guys on here. I decided i'm gonna remove the inside harness and work on it outside the car to make life easier, the inside is also the only one i'm touching, I just wanna clean up the inside mainly, once this is done, i'm actually gonna put my interior back in with a lightweight carpet and all that good stuff, tired of my car lookin like a tin can! But best thing I can say is to just jump in and start tracin stuff, if you get stuck, wiring diagrams will definately help.
Old 09-18-2007, 07:28 PM
FormerVendor

Factory wiring with pcm is around 35lbs. Thats EVERYTHING, all fuse boxes, body control , airbag computer, and all wiring to the back of the car.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Junkie

I did mine last year and it really wasn't worth it. I traced all the dead connectors back to their start and cut them there. It did clean up the engine bay of some connectors hanging there. In the end I had 6lbs of stuff. There is a little more the hardcore guys could get rid off but I'd say 10lbs max.
Old 09-18-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I got 10.5 lbs on wiring alone. Here is a list of what I removed last winter.

Driver Seat => 52 - 14.5 for new kirkey = 37.5lbs
Door Panels => 18
Drivers Side Air bag => 5
Passenger Side Air bag and bracket => 15
Air bag sensors under dash => 1.5
Stock Steering Wheel => 4.5
Wiring => 10.5
Heater box, Conderser, Blower Motor, Heater Core, Ducting => 27.5
Misc Panels under dash => 4
Firewall black plastic and foam => 14
Door Switches and Heater Controls => 1.5
EBCM module, RAP module, Airbag module, Express Down module, Keyless entry module => 5

Grand Total => 144 lbs

Now some of that was added back in with new parts, like a light weight steering wheel and sheet metal door panels, but you get the idea. A little here, a little there, it all adds up.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

yea, i got mine to 29xx and i took a LOT out of the car and it deff. looks like a tin can. All i got left really is k-member and a-arms.