Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Ring gear runout? Teeth seem to have a "wave" in them as I spin the diff...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Ring gear runout? Teeth seem to have a "wave" in them as I spin the diff...

I just finished the first test-fit of my 9-inch, and it looks like the ring gear has some runout. My depth gauge is at my buddy's place, so I can't check runout directly. When I spin the differential, it looks like the mounting flange of the differential is true. When I look at the teeth of the ring gear, however, it looks like there's some variance in the thickness of the ring gear (if that makes sense). Has anyone ever seen this effect?
Old 09-21-2007, 02:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yup... you might want to pull the ring gear off of the carrier and wipe the surfaces clean. Sometimes when you install the ring gear onto the carrier... it can push some slag from the carrier under the ring gear when pressing or mounting the ring gear. Its either that... or you did not get the ring to 'seat' upon assembly.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:00 PM
On The Tree

try flat filing the back side of the ring gear to make sure it is true, or you may have run out in the carrier
Old 10-18-2007, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a set of richmond gears like that.