LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Any way to seal exhaust manifold w/broken bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any way to seal exhaust manifold w/broken bolts?

I went o replace my driver side manifold gasket and the back two bolts were broken before I even got to them....The second to last still has most of the bolt there, but the last is broken off right at the head. My question is, is there anyway to seal the manifold w/o repairing the broken bolts? I have no gasket in there now and there is only a slight tick, actually better than before. But I would like to try and seal it without getting into drilling and tapping.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:28 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could try it, but I probably wouldn't waste the time and the gasket, and the chances are slim.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:04 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would using 2 gaskets be of any benefit? Asking becasue I can clearly see where it is leaking, from the last bolt. Its pushed outwars because of all the other bolts being tight. Thought a double gasket might help bridge some of the gap
Old 09-21-2007, 08:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have gasket blow out if you go that route.Your best option imo is to take the car to an exhaust shop and have them weld a nut on to the broken bolt in the head.I have seen this happen a few times and it works.

Quick Reply: Any way to seal exhaust manifold w/broken bolts?