Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New To Ls1 Tech

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 11:49 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New To Ls1 Tech

Im looking for a rear end Im pushing about 450 rwhp and I know my rear end is not gonna last too long, Im looking for some advice
Old 10-01-2007, 10:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

3 options.
12 bolt
9 inch
Dana s-60

Most have pros and cons such as ABS etc. Future goals. Try the rearend section and read and search tons of good info.

Thanks
Old 10-04-2007, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

from jaberwaki:

3. Rear End

Let's face facts. When the General was building the F-body, he put no thought whatsoever into the choice of the 10-bolt rear. This rear is not even strong enough to hold the stock HP, and is one of the first things to break when a new F-body racer heads to the track. In the case of the M6 tranny, please do not make a $2500 mistake. If you have spent a week on LS1tech, then you have heard the words "12-bolt" and "9-inch" when it comes to rears. If you have an M6, then I want you to forget the first of those. You are about to spend $2500 on a rear; do you really want to break it? 12-bolts are for automatic cars. They last a long time in an auto. But you own the sledgehammer of parts, the T56, breaker of rears. For you, there should be only one choice -- the mighty mighty 9-inch.

Rear end parts... Now that you have chosen the correct rear, it's time to pick the parts you want in it. Most every place that sells these rears will give you these choices.

Posi-Traction: The best choice for a car that will not see much track time but still wants a super-strong rear.

Detroit Locker:The best choice for a car that will see a lot of both street and strip time. It is more noisy than the posi, but it is also stronger.

Full Spool: So you got a RACE car, huh? Well, this is what you want. Full spool is the least street-friendly of the choices, but it is hands-down the strongest.

Axles: The simplest way to approach axles is: the more splines, the better.

Gears: This is mainly a matter of personal preference. 4.11s are perfectly streetable while also performing well at the track. Numerically higher gears lean more to track use; lower leans more to street cars.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:16 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

hi-congrats
Old 10-08-2007, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

I love my 10 bolt
Old 10-08-2007, 08:28 PM
Teching In

VRBAS, you sold me! lol that was awesome advice.