Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Catted Y Pipe - Fit Issues / Installation Tips?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 02:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP Catted Y Pipe - Fit Issues / Installation Tips?

Last Thursday I got my TSP catted Y pipe and I attempted to install it over the weekend. I didn't go so well. After 9 hours of struggling, I was able take the car off jackststands and back it off the ramps with the original ORY back on the car!. I have Jet Hot headers and a TSP rumbler cat back on the car, so this should fit...but I couldn't get it to fit!

The passenger side seemed okay, but the cat on the drivers side was hard against the fuel lines (probably not good, lol!), and the single pipe that ties into the catback wasn't even close to being tucked up near the driveshaft to clear my torque arm mount / tunnel brace (the torque arm mount is clearanced for LT header applications and the ORY didn't have any clearane issues her or anywhere else). I deburred all the edges and lubricated the tube ends so they would rotate against one and other as I tried to fit it up, and I couldn't get it even close to fitting properly.

Unless someone has some suggestions, I'm contemplating selling this set up and looking into some Random Technology Cats to splice into my current Y pipe (that fits perfectly), or taking the pieces to a muffler shop and tell them to install / fabricate or whatever is neded to mount those cats on my car!

Anyone have a similar experience or any advice...?
Old 09-24-2007, 06:20 PM
Teching In

Help... TTT
Old 09-24-2007, 07:24 PM
Teching In

I have the same setup if you change the jet hot for pace setters but you just have to get under there and tighten everthing up a couple times until you get it right and rotate the pieces attached to the cats and put some radiator hose around those fuel lines or i made a headshied out of a scrap piece of metal. i have no problems with any rubbing or fitment after 1k miles or so. but a little advice get some band clamps not those cheeesy U bolts to hold everything together except for the 2.5 inch part of the rumbler, have that welded. i had to have a hanger made for the driver side piece. and that middle peice that slides i had welded. and those 2.5 i had heated and bent to look even....and thats about it... hope it helps tell me if you need pics
Old 09-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Launching!

My drivers side cat is right next to the fuel lines, that is just how it is. The cat has about 1/8in. clearence to the plastic thing that holds the fuel lines.

Did you have the y-pipe assembled when to tried to install it? Is it not slipping over your header collectors? How far off is the y-pipe tubes from sliping over collectors?
As far as your cat-back hangin low when you connect the tsp y, you may have to cut some off of I-pipe so it will tuck up. It will droop until you push it up and tighten it.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Teching In

The Y pipe was installed on the headers when the cat on the driver's side was hard against the fuel lines and the outlet of the Y pipe was at least 2 inches below where it needed to be. No matter what I did, I couldn't get the pipes rotated enough to get the cat off the fuel lines and the Y pipe tucked up in the tunnel where it needed to be.

Yesterday I stopped in a local exhaust shop that does custom work, and as I explained my problem he started smiling, so I responded with "So you've heard this kind of story before...?" and he said it happens all the time. He said he has to rebend and tweak pipes to get them to fit right because each car is just a little bit different and they all fit better if they are custom bent to that specific vehicle so that's what I plan to do on Thursday. No way can I stand having an exhaust banging against or sitting hard on the body and resonating sound throughout the entire car!

Quick Reply: TSP Catted Y Pipe - Fit Issues / Installation Tips?