Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

9" is in, went for a ride

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up 9" is in, went for a ride

This is a DLS Moser 9" with Detroit Locker, 410s, Moser aluminum thru bolt case, 35 spline, etc....all the good stuff. I got the three box special from DLS a few months back and finally got around to installing it.

I did the job alone in the garage with jack stands. I re-used the stock LCAs and TA. The PHB was a black adjustable unit from UMI. I also re-used the stock POS sway bar and mounted it with Spohn's u-clamp kit. The stock drive shaft was also re-used with a special 1350 adapter u-joint. (I plan to measure and order a more beefy drive shaft.) The job took me a couple afternoons and there are still a few bugs to work out, but overall, the swap was pretty straight forward. (An impact gun came in handy!)

When it was all said and done, I went for a short test ride around town and on the highway. I really like the 410's! The car pulls nicely through the gears. Sixth is now a useful gear for cruising on the highway. Around town I did notice the Locker doing it's thing. At low speed, going around corners, I can hear a 'ratcheting/clicking', then when the car returns to going straight I hear and feel a 'clunk'. (It's not as bad as I thought it would be.) After a short time behind the wheel, I was able to, somewhat, limit the clunking just by adjusting my driving. On the highway the Locker behaved just like a stock 10 bolt. Except when I took on/off-ramps. With the windows up, radio off, and the AC off, as the car turned, I could hear a faint whirring sound. (I suspect this is normal noise from the locker, and that it's the ratchet noise but at a higher frequency. It's not loud and I actually think it sounds kind of cool lol.) With the respect to gear set-up and any noise originating from them, so far, other than the normal Locker clicking/clunking, this rear end is as quiet as the perfectly good 10 bolt that it replaced.

Unless I missed something during my short test ride, on the street I think I can happily coexist with the locker and 410s, and at the track I'll have piece of mind knowing a there's a fairly stout piece back there.

Thanks to the LS1tech sponsors that sold me the parts. Especially, Scott from Drive Line Solutions. Nice job setting up the gears, bro.
Old 09-28-2007, 10:22 AM
TECH Addict

I changed out the gear lube, did an inspection, and went for another ride. I'm not sure what is causing it, but there's a decent 'wabang' when I hit a bump with the passenger side. It's not the TA bottoming out. I'll have to figure out what it is....PHB?

One thing I'd like to do is clean up the rear brake lines. I'll probably fab some custom lines...
Old 09-29-2007, 12:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm in the market for a new rear end now...Still researching.
Haven't deciding one which to go with.

I'm glad it all worked out well except for the bang.

Have you figured what is banging yet ?
Old 09-29-2007, 01:28 AM
12 Second Club

do you have a locker or a truetrak differential. the true-trak's click/clunk around corners and under decel.
Old 09-29-2007, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

The banging was my cut out making a little contact with the pumpkin. I tweaked the pipe a little and that fixed it.

It is a Detroit Locker in there. It might be too much annoyance for the average guy, but I think I'll be fine with it.

What I want to do next is get an adj torque arm and, maybe, adjust the pinion angle. I'm not experiencing any clearance problems with the stock TA hitting the floor, and I'd like to keep it that way. The only adj torque arm I've seen that might fit without the BFH mod is the Edelbrock. I think it might fit because the rear mount looks much smaller than other makes.

Also, the rear brake lines are all over the place. I'll be making some lines of my own in the near future.
Old 09-29-2007, 12:00 PM
12 Second Club

i loved the extra noise and that i could feel the bumps more with all my poly mounts. made it feel like i was driving a serious street car.

with my 12 bolt i zip tied the brake lines to the tubes until i made the new lines.

have you looked into the tunnel mount torque arms? from what ive seen on here they add a bit of noise and vibration if your tires or drive shaft isnt balanced correctly. im not familiar with the good and bad of the nine inch....probably why im in this thread
Old 11-06-2007, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

just got my 9" in and took it for the first test drive. Man the Detroit Locker is going to take a bit to get used to. Little louder than I thought. Any way I'm glad I went with it. I can start moding the hell out of the car and not worry about it, and Finally run slicks at the track!!!
Old 11-06-2007, 03:03 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

When I first got my 9 inch in my 3rd gen with an auto it took awhile to get used to the difference in traction. The car really feels like it wants to go straight and accelerating out of a turn takes some getting used to the inside tire chirping.
Old 11-16-2007, 12:21 PM
TECH Regular

After driving and breaking in my new 9", I must say I am absolutely happy with the Detroit locker. Got about 175 miles in the last 2 weeks and after about 50 miles the rear end and locker quieted down. So glad I decided to go this route and the extra noises it makes just reminds me what a bullit proof rear end I have. Just a little bit of a change in driving habits but nothing drastic.