LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Knock questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 09:28 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Knock questions

I just started tuning my car with tunercats for my OBD1 conversion. Right now, the only thing that I have done was increase the line pressure on the transmission and a couple other small things but nothing to the actual engine performance, no spark advance or anything like that. The car is bone stock 97 A4 3.23 with 110k pampered miles. What my problem is that I am seeing knock at some strange times. It will be zero and continue to be zero until I go WOT and it downshifts to first gear and then the KR will spike to like 9 degrees but then start to come down even while still under WOT. What I think is strange is that after it does this, I will continue to get KR with any little touch of the throttle. It even said .1 at idle at a stoplight. Tap the throttle and it would go up to 3 or 4, even when the rpm barely went up. It sounds like false KR to me but I am just starting to do this hence not very knowledgeable. After the car is turned off and sits for a few minutes, it is back to the way it was. I turned code 43 off in the PCM because of what other members on the board said about the knock sensor voltage differences. The knock module that was in the PCM that I got has the same part number as the OBD2 (96-97) LT1. Does anybody think this sounds like false knock or does this sound like the actual thing? If it is actual, is this normal for a stock car or should it be zero all the time? I have a few of the strange runs showing the KR from the datamaster program if anybody wants to look at them. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

quoted from project trans am

"The LT1 knock module in our cars (1994-1997 LT1's) is too sensitive and is subject to picking up "false knock". What happens is when the computer thinks it's picking up knock, it starts retarding timing. The knock module can cause your timing to be retarded up to 22 degrees. This results in a serious loss of performance."

The fix is lt4 knock module ( not to be confused with knock sensor )

I paid 42 bucks for mine on ebay had no false knock probs after.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:28 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK Thanks for the response. I have read about the LT4 KM before but had thought it would really only help with the addition of more noisy valvetrain components like roller rockers but if the LT1 KM is prone to picking up false knock even on a stock car, then the LT4 is the way to go. Anybody else agree or disagree?

Quick Reply: Knock questions