Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finishline 4L60E Burnout ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 10:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Default Finishline 4L60E Burnout ?

When drag racing a built 4L60E Level 5, what gear is recommended to come out of the burnout box (2nd or 3rd)?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2007, 10:34 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have one of thier trannys but i do have a built tranny.....When doing a burnout on my mickeys i just hold first till im done with the burnout....then again its not a really long burnout either.
Old 10-03-2007, 07:44 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I prefer to see the car or truck come out of the water box in third gear. The reason is that the internals are turning one to one. The transmission is strongest at this point. Second gear is ok if you are using a wide band and a beast shell. The problem with doing a burnout in manual first is that the low roller can be damaged when the wheels hit dry pavement. We see this happen quite often and this is an issue with just about every make and model of transmissions. I would put the shifter in the D3 position let the trans shift into third gear and then let of the brake to come out of the water box. Line her up and let it fly. Enjoy the ride!
Old 10-03-2007, 08:07 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

with my L5 4L65E...

I roll thorugh the water and poke the throttle just to turn them over once, roll out of the water completely onto dry pavement, then do my burnout, this keeps you from slinging water into your wheel wells and letting it drip onto the tire surface when you launch... creating a loss in traction... but back to the burnout..

Once I'm on dry pavement, I just leave it in 'D' and start my burnout. I get the tires turning oevr nicely (about 75% throttle) then let off the brake and stand in it, it will shift from first to second almost immediately, and I end the burnout in 2nd... its about a 30ft long process total.
Old 10-03-2007, 12:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 266 Likes on 101 Posts

Default 4L60E Burnout

Originally Posted by Vince @ FLT
I prefer to see the car or truck come out of the water box in third gear. The reason is that the internals are turning one to one. The transmission is strongest at this point. Second gear is ok if you are using a wide band and a beast shell. The problem with doing a burnout in manual first is that the low roller can be damaged when the wheels hit dry pavement. We see this happen quite often and this is an issue with just about every make and model of transmissions. I would put the shifter in the D3 position let the trans shift into third gear and then let of the brake to come out of the water box. Line her up and let it fly. Enjoy the ride!
Thanks Vince, I will be pounding on my Level 5 trans tonight fro the first time. I just wanted to be sure on what gear to come out in. So its very similar to a TH350 then I raced years ago 1:1 in third (D). Works for me. Only reason I asked is because those M/T's will really be rolling in drive.

I don't have any real time (maybe 30 miles) on the trans plus some dyno runs. I haven't manually shifted but once on the streets playing. It seemed when I went to shift from 2-3, it didn't go into 3rd immediately in accordance with the manual gear change.
However, when left it in Drive and went through a WOT run it hits 2-3 everytime at 6k nice and crisp, which is where the programming has it set. I will have to try this again tonight at the track (manual shift) to see if it is consistently not responding. If it does it again, any idea what I need to look at? It maybe nothing, but since your here I thought I'd ask.... we'll see.

BTW, it is a vaccum mod set-up.

Thanks for the reply on the burnout ?.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:02 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the reason on the manual shift is because of programing. I do not recommend manually shifting a 4l60e because as you just stated the computer is faster. It is best to let the computer do it's job and it is also better for the life of the trans. Enjoy the track tonight. Vince
Old 10-03-2007, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

On my et streets and my et drags with my 4l60e I started the burnout in first then manually shifted it to 2nd then sometimes I feathered and other times I would just rip it up to the burnout box.

Quick Reply: Finishline 4L60E Burnout ?