Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Auto Shifter Button Won't Depress

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stock Auto Shifter Button Won't Depress

I've got a buddy with a stock 1998 Z28, A4 and the button will not depress on his stock shifter. He gets in it in the morning, fires it up, and simply mashes the button to move it from Park to Drive and the button acts as if it's stuck. Not knowing anything about the internals on a stock auto shifter, I'm wondering if there's a spring mechanism or something inside preventing the button from being mashed. Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2007, 06:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Surely this has happended before. Anybody??

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2007, 11:15 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes this happended to me before . You need to check and see if the shifter will work with the key in the unlocked position first do not turn it to the on position just the first click then see if it will depress if it dose work then maybe the problem is in the saftey switch under the shifter. if it still dose not work with the key in the unlocke position there is a clip on the back side of the shifter pick it out with a fine point tester ect. lift the shifter **** off and it will expose a plastic tube that runs down to the latch on the shifter that pushes down the latch to release the shifter,if it is not broke you may try to pull up on the plastic tube to strech it back out see if that will work thats what i done to mine but check the saftey switch first