Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP WITH WATER PUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 10:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP WITH WATER PUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just installed a brand new ACDelco Water Pump on my 98 Z28. When I run it to bleed all of the air out of the system, the temp guage gets to the third mark and the thermostat still isn't opening,so I turn it off. The lower hose doesn't get hot, the radiator doesn't get hot, the water is boiling over out of the radiator. The dealership said to just run it, as long as it doesn't go into the red, it's fine. Has anyone else had this problem, if so, what did you do to fix it? Please help!!!!!!!

Thanks
Ryan
Old 06-06-2003, 12:50 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: HELP WITH WATER PUMP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine did the same thing when I installed my heads and oil pump. It would get real close to over-heating so I would shut it off and let it sit for about half an hour. After doing this three times I gave up on it until the next day. After the car sat overnight the thermostat opened up normally and everything was fine. I believe that in my situation the car had to get up to operating temp and then cool completely before every thing started working properly.
Old 06-06-2003, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Mine did the same thing except it had A LOT of air in the system. I just poured the water in each hose and filled it up by until water came out of the other end and turned the pump to help it circulate also. After that it worked perfectly.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Squeeze the big hoses with both hands while the rad cap is open. This will help to purge the air.