General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Car wont start, need quick help...

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car wont start, need quick help...

My car is with my dad in another town so this is all what i heard over the phone... he said that when he puts the key in all of the gauges respond like normal, then when he tries to turn it over it only clicks once and then doesnt do anything else... he said he bought a new battery for it and something his mechanic told him to get called a "clutch switch" or something... does that sound like the starter is out?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'd have to measure to see if the starter is getting voltage. Multimeters can be had for less than $20. There is a switch that triggers when the clutch is pressed and it can go bad and it will indeed cause the car to not stop, but my GUESS is that you would not hear a click in that case.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

wow i have the same problem as you..

your dad probably isnt hearing the starter click but rather one small noise once he turns the key, more like almost a bump..

Basically heres the symptoms.. Battery has enough voltage and everything runs fine.. turn the key and the gauges light up except its almost like no signal is getting from the ignition to the starter..

With mine, It will work fine sometimes and others wont attempt to start... its not like the starter is clicking or anything, it just starts fine sometimes and other times wont at all.. Well now, it wont start or attempt to turn over..

NOW... does anyone know where this switch is, where i can buy one, and how i install it?

When the car starts it turns right over eliminating the starter, battery is new, and car retains power eliminating alternator..

????????????
Old 10-05-2007, 09:59 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Test your voltage at the starter first.
Old 10-06-2007, 12:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the clutch switch ended up not working, but they replaced the starter and now its fine...