Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High voltage on dash gauge

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2007, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member
Default High voltage on dash gauge

I just got the car back from having the rear-end rebuilt. Hard to start and keep idling but got home without issue. When I first started it up at the shop, there was a squealing noise coming from the engine which eventually stopped

A few hours later I went to run an errand and had the same problem. I noticed that the voltage gage was almost in the red, and revving the motor to keep it running put it into the red. It eventually settled about 14v.

But when I backed up, the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with the ABS light, check gages light, etc, and the voltage had risen again. Came to a stop and they all went back to normal. When I pulled ahead back into my parking spot it repeated.

I just had the charging system checked about 1-2 months ago at the dealership because of a failed alternator. I was told they put in t 'brand new, not remanufactured' alternator and replaced the wire going to the PCM. It was working great until the car went in for the rear-end rebuild. Maybe a connection was left loose somewhere? No DTC's are stored.

I'm not terribly keen on towing the car yet again, it's already been towed 5 phreaking times (to dealer for alternator, for tranny rebuild, for no clutch after tranny rebuild[still occurring], home after rearend broke, and to rearend shop) since 8/28/07. I haven't even gotten partial reimbursement for the towing expenses yet from my insurance company. Any harm in driving the car 1-2 miles to get it to the dealership under these conditions?