Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

anyone with Blackout Taillight COVERS, come inside!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2007, 09:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default anyone with Blackout Taillight COVERS, come inside!!

i'll get right down to the point:

have your blackout covers caused your stock taillights to melt?

now for my story if you care to read:

i have had my blackout taillight covers on for about 2-3 years now, and i have NEVER noticed any problems with my taillights(the actual stock tail lights). i take off the covers when i wash the car, and i am one of those ones that notices EVERYTHING on the car...scratches, dents.. if i wash it, it is still dirty to me, etc...

now i had my car at my mechanic's house for a good 2-3 months getting my tranny installed (had lots of issues, so it took that long), and when it was all finished, i noticed ONE of my blackout covers was cracked, and BOTH of my tail lights appeared dented in, each one on each side in the same spot.

now first thing i think is that someone hit the car, but i never really mentioned it when i first got it back as i had other issues that were more important. i did however show him the cracked blackout, just to point it out.

a week or so later, i showed the mechanic the dented lights. he said that they melted from the heat(it was summertime). i asked family and friends, and they all agreed that it had to have been hit. the mechanic did agree to replace the lights, end of story.

now, he claims the blackout covers caused the taillights to melt, and wants me to pay him back.. soo i would like to see if this has happened to anyone else FIRST before i come to any conclusions.

thanks guys for your time!
Old 10-10-2007, 09:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they melted mine.......I mean in the same spot on each side....and the melted spots are about the size of a golf ball each.....although my taillight covers are not cracked at all!! there is no way that heat could make those crack! as far as the taillights...very possible that they melted because of the covers.....