Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Noise-Reduction Sheets: School Me

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Noise-Reduction Sheets: School Me

The search button is kinda wacky lately and can't the answers I'm looking for.

I'm looking to purchase some sheets to reduce in-cabin resonance. I am not too concerned with sound quality of the aftermarket stereo equipment that I have in the car already. I just want to block out the outside noise. Living in Chicago, it's nice to close the door and hear dead silence.

Can anyone refer me to some good reading material or some good sheets. What to look for and etc etc?

Thanx.

I was jus' planning on doing the doors and the rear wheel wells also. Maybe around the transmission box too.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

www.secondskinaudio.com

Ant is the man over there. Doing the floor and firewall of a vehicle is a great way to keep out road noise.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Regular

sound deadening is not a cheap option. it is very expensive to do it right. i put about 2k worth of sound deadening materials and upwards for 40+hrs to completely sound deaden my last f-body. It was very worth it however, dont expect dead silence; our cars were not meant to be quiet and the things that attribute to noise will work against us. In a luxury car the tranny/engine are designed to be more quiet than many other cars also that and factory sound deadening works to thier advantage. You will see very noticible difference however doni't expect complete silence becasuse its nearly impossible and you will at that point create unrealistic goals...... i have tons of pictures of my install if you are interested, just let me know; i can post here if needbe. The car i sound deadened was totalled 2 weeks after the install however on my next one (T/A LS1-M6-WS6) i will repeat the process

P.S. i also used second skin; however this time i will use an array of second skin/rammatt/ and cascade audio!
Old 10-15-2007, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Vibration & road noise is a whole animal unto itself. If you're looking to block noises not coming from your car, you can't beat hoodliner material. It's thick, light, and relatively cheaper than dampners. Since f-bods have such bubly outer skins, it leaves lots of room for the stuff.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here's some reading for you

www.sounddeadenershowdown.com
Old 10-15-2007, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CaliforniaBoy5
sound deadening is not a cheap option. it is very expensive to do it right. i put about 2k worth of sound deadening materials and upwards for 40+hrs to completely sound deaden my last f-body. It was very worth it however, dont expect dead silence; our cars were not meant to be quiet and the things that attribute to noise will work against us. In a luxury car the tranny/engine are designed to be more quiet than many other cars also that and factory sound deadening works to thier advantage. You will see very noticible difference however doni't expect complete silence becasuse its nearly impossible and you will at that point create unrealistic goals...... i have tons of pictures of my install if you are interested, just let me know; i can post here if needbe. The car i sound deadened was totalled 2 weeks after the install however on my next one (T/A LS1-M6-WS6) i will repeat the process

P.S. i also used second skin; however this time i will use an array of second skin/rammatt/ and cascade audio!

z0mg teh cali!!!

it's 9512ds
Old 10-16-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Hmm. Cool, I've heard that elements was a good "skin" too?

Haven't heard much of second skin audio.

How much would I need??
Old 10-16-2007, 02:03 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 98Ws698
z0mg teh cali!!!

it's 9512ds
HEY!!! ahhh man how are you doing???!?!?!? i wish they had the :woot: logo here!! ahhh, feels good to see some of the ca.com crowd on the interweb!
Old 10-16-2007, 07:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used RAAMAudio stuff on my floor and some on my doors, plus Second Skin sludge in my doors and behind the sail panel speakers. I also used 2 layers of RAAMAudio ensolite under my carpet, while still keeping the factory carpet padding. I want to get the firewall deadened because while my road noise is much reduced, my engine is still loud enough to be annoying after, say, 5 minutes.
Old 10-16-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Junkie

I am ready to order from Second Skin since they are getting better reviews. I just don't know which one to order!!!!

I don't wanna deal with spray on, clay, gunk, goo or anything like that. I jus' would like to roll it on. Which one?

I was thinking about running the Vibration Mats with Overkill on top of that or Luxury on top of that?

I think I'll e-mail them also.

THanx
Old 10-17-2007, 02:12 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
I am ready to order from Second Skin since they are getting better reviews. I just don't know which one to order!!!!

I don't wanna deal with spray on, clay, gunk, goo or anything like that. I jus' would like to roll it on. Which one?

I was thinking about running the Vibration Mats with Overkill on top of that or Luxury on top of that?

I think I'll e-mail them also.

THanx
Damp Pro FTMFW!
Old 10-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

I'm using Stinger Roadkill expert series to keep the panels from flexing and home carpet foam to absorb the exterior noise. The foam works amazingly in the doors, middle wells and quarters.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:05 PM
TECH Addict

Carpet foam? Huh? Carpet usually has carpet padding (like jute, etc) under it, not foam....
Old 10-17-2007, 12:47 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Carpet foam? Huh? Carpet usually has carpet padding (like jute, etc) under it, not foam....
I said " home carpet foam" not carpet foam .Sorry for not knowing the exact term but this is what I'm talking about http://www.carpetguru.com/froth200.htm
Old 10-17-2007, 02:02 PM
TECH Addict

Hmm, I guess that'll work. Closed cell. I was thinking you meant regular carpet padding like the stock stuff in our cars that just soaks up water bigtime.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Hmm, I guess that'll work. Closed cell. I was thinking you meant regular carpet padding like the stock stuff in our cars that just soaks up water bigtime.
It does wonders especially in the middle wells and hatch area. Just go to your local carpet store.
Old 10-17-2007, 09:52 PM
TECH Addict

I already used Ensolite which is also a closed cell foam so I'm all set there.
Old 10-17-2007, 10:27 PM
TECH Addict

I used Cascade and Dynamat on the doors and all Dynamat on the back 1/2 of the car. It made a huge difference in blocking road and traffic noise and makes the doors sound solid when closing them. Dynamat is heavy and expensive. If you plan on doing sheets of anything, get a nice solid wood roller to help lay it down and prepare for a nice backache.

Old 10-18-2007, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Very nice
Old 10-18-2007, 10:31 AM
Launching!

On a scale of 1-10, 10 being completely silent and you can't hear the outside at all.. how would you guys rate your road noise after the sound deadening?

I'm looking at something like this, since my road noise is HORRIBLE past 70MPH, and I live in NJ but visit family in NC every couple weeks.