Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

ON the verge of stepping to the "dark side"

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 09:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ON the verge of stepping to the "dark side"

I have been a diehard mustang guy for 15 years and owned 8 mustangs in that time. I'm ready for something new, now.

I'm getting more and more involved in autocross and my mustang just isn't as competitive as an F-body is. Better power, better suspension.

I'll be looking for a manual transmission'd car (still difficult speaking LS1/F-body-ese). Don't know if I want a T/A or Camaro, yet--the T/A's look better in my opinion.

I may be asking some "stupid" questions, but be gentle. The change is difficult, but I think I can see the light.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

F-bodies are sweet. . . they can definitly be made into decent auto-x cars as Sam Strano has won several championships with his z28.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear you have been blinded for so long but finally see the light, congrats on you new future F-Body purchase. I've owned a stang nad driven many, not even comparable.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

I wouldn't say that mustangs are that much worse than F-bodies. Afterall, without them we would have nothing to compete with in our general class (except for imports). I have driven a few newer model Mustangs, and I can say that they are fun in their own different way. In any case, you'll definately enjoy your F-body. Just do your research as to what to look for when buying, and make a good choice. Have a good one. Mike
Old 10-23-2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by Hawk108
F-bodies are sweet. . . they can definitly be made into decent auto-x cars as Sam Strano has won several championships with his z28.
Yeah, a lot of that is driving and he can drive with the best of em. He won his last championship in a Shelby GT a few weeks ago.

I've been talking to Sam a lot and his insights are kind of what helped me make the move. He was going to help me get my fox mustang ready for ESP. Plus I saw where the prices for these cars arent' too extraordinary.

I'm going to do the research over the winter and buy in the spring, I think.

Thanks for the welcome.
Old 10-23-2007, 09:45 AM
TECH Regular

I think you should look for a Z or formula because they are lighter than the TA. Good Luck
Old 10-23-2007, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

I have no idea what your budget is, but I would personally look into the FRC C5. Yeah, they are more expensive, but you'll end up spending the same amount on an F-Body to get it on par w/ what a C5 w/ mild mods could do-->as far as handling goes. Since your looking to mod so much anyways, high mileage shouldn't bother you so much on the car purchase. You might be able to find one as cheap as 15K.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

Glad to see anther to come to the light. Welcome. You have come to the right place for information on the F-Body in general. Alot of ppl with alot of great advice. Again Welcome.