Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

very odd ring gear problem.... HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default very odd ring gear problem.... HELP!!

Rear end specs –
4.10 richmonds (series 2)
zexel torsen posi (series 2)
Solid pinion spacer
T/A cover
Welded tubes / braced up

I was driving my car and started hearing bad noises coming from the rear end, mainly on deceleration. Ripped it all apart expecting to find a bad outer pinion bearing. Everything looked fine. I replaced the bearing and race anyways (already bought new ones). Put the pinion back in / shimmed the spacer, and got the right preload. After putting the carrier back in with the same shims as I took out, I tried spinning it. It would spin easily until one certain point and then literally get jammed. I could force it through with a little muscle, spin the carrier 360 degrees and it would get stuck in the same spot on the ring gear.

I took it out, and looked at all the teeth, especially where the pinion gear was at the time. All the teeth visually appear fine, and I ran my fingers along all of the teeth, with no abnormal defects that I could feel. I said f*ck it and reassembled it anyways. Filled it up with fluid and test drove it. Still the same noise as before. No noticeable noise while accelerating, but when braking or even coasting, it makes a hell of a noise, sounds just like a bearing was going bad.

What would cause the ring gear to “hang up” at a certain point? Can they get warped or is more logical that something got imbedded into the tooth of the gear, causing the binding issue?

Any tips / advise would be much appreciated!
-Jeff
Old 10-23-2007, 01:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

See I knew I should have helped you with that last night! Do you think any other bearings in your axle could have gone bad? I know you have the preload adjuster on you 10bolt, I wonder if it might be pushing something out of spec... but what do I know, just a thought
Old 10-23-2007, 01:51 PM
Launching!

Check the backlash in several spots to see what it is. I'm betting you have zero where it gets tight and probably some but not enough in the areas where it turns ok.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by B4CZR2
See I knew I should have helped you with that last night! Do you think any other bearings in your axle could have gone bad? I know you have the preload adjuster on you 10bolt, I wonder if it might be pushing something out of spec... but what do I know, just a thought
Trust me.. you did not want to see me last night.. I was pretty pissed at the whole situation. I am fairly certain i invented several new swear words. And the braces were not on when i was turning it by hand, so i know that had nothing to do with it. I wish it was that easy!

Originally Posted by JeffT
Check the backlash in several spots to see what it is. I'm betting you have zero where it gets tight and probably some but not enough in the areas where it turns ok.
I didnt hook up my dial indicator, as i was keeping the same shims in there, but i could feel a little bit of play in the gears while turning the whole thing, except for the place where it binds...
Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

The torsen you have could be getting slop in the worm gears. You can check backlash in mutiple spots and hope for the best. Won't be long!
Old 10-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mikenews
The torsen you have could be getting slop in the worm gears. You can check backlash in mutiple spots and hope for the best. Won't be long!
when i was spinning it by hand i didnt even have the axles in, so i know it doesn't have anything to do with the worm gears..... Thanks for the idea tho!
-Jeff