Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Changed clutch, wont go into gear... help!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 08:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Changed clutch, wont go into gear... help!

Alright, changed the clutch on a 1992 RS Camaro 5.0, it has the 5spd transmission and the clutch isnt in backwards or anything and the problem is the car will start, but when I go to put it in gear, i have the clutch pedal down and still wont go into gear. I have some pressure in the pedal but I looked at the slave while it was being pushed and only pushes the fork about 1-1/2", should it be pushing it out more? I am 100% sure the clutch is in correct, done this 1000x and never had one that wouldnt work, I personally think its a bad slave. and the clutch disk in backwards wouldmake it hard for the pressure plate to bolt down. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 10-29-2007, 11:09 AM
Teching In

Sounds like the clutch fork is installed incorrecly on the TO bearing. when its installed incorrectly the clutch will not disengage. Go do some searching on thirdgen.org it has been covered many times over there with pics showing the correct installation.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive done this transmission before, the throwout bearing, goes on the outside of the pressure plate fingers, then the clutch fork is going to be in the groove of the throwout bearing, therefor, pushing in on the pressure plate releasing pressure. Not sure why its not working, seems to me like the slave isnt pushing it in far enough. Ill release the clutch fork and then put it back on. Thanks for the info.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/at...rk-right-wrong

can the clutch fork be removed without pulling the tranny? or atleast adjusted to the correct position?

Quick Reply: Changed clutch, wont go into gear... help!