Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

This can't be right, please help a hydraulic clutch newb

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 07:52 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default This can't be right, please help a hydraulic clutch newb

I've searched and searched and can't find what I'm looking for. I'm working on my buddy's bone stock '00 Z28. It's got 101k miles on it and the clutch fluid is original. You can't shift faster than grandma without grinding in every gear and clutch engagement was only 1" off the floor. The fluid was kinda dark, so we decided to bleed it. This is the first time I've worked with a hyd clutch, I've always had mechanical linkage. I've searched & read all the tips here on how to bleed the clutch, but we're having no success.

Here's the story: After lots of cussing getting to the bleeder screw, I finally got on it and busted it loose.....but my wrench flew off and fluid came pouring out! By the time I got the damn wrench back on and the bleeder closed, all the fluid in the reservoir was gone and the pedal was on the floor and won't come back up. We filled it back to the top and gravity bled it for a few minutes. We then started the bleeding process.....me cracking the bleeder, him pushing the pedal down, I close the bleeder and then he pulls the pedal back up. I get a solid stream of fluid out of the bleeder when he pushes the pedal down. When I close the bleeder and he pulls the pedal back up, there is a one second delay and then a very audible sucking sound comes from the slave cylinder area. The fluid level in the reservoir drops simultaneously with the sucking sound. Does this sound right or is the sound we're hearing actually air being pulled into the system? It seems to us that we shouldn't hear anything once the bleeder is closed. We've done this bleeding process 15-20 times, been through 1/2 quart of DOT3 and the pedal is still on the floor with zero improvement. Is the slave cylinder bad? We're stuck, please please help!
Old 10-26-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sometimes it takes more bleed cycles than that to get pressure. Is there any fluid leakage?
Old 10-26-2007, 07:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On a dry slave, I usually kill a quart before its right. Hold the pedal to the floor, then break the bleader. It takes a while, but it will get there. Have you done the drill mod to the line? Could be part of the problem, or worn out slave.
Old 10-26-2007, 08:14 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by brad8266
Is there any fluid leakage?
Once the bleeder is closed, the fluid level in the reservoir will hold firm overnight so I don't think there's a leak. I do get quite a bit of dripping from the bottom of the bell housing while we're bleeding though.

Shouldn't I feel at least a tiny bit of improvement in the pedal after the amount of bleeding we've done? It's no better than when we started.....totally down to the floor with zero resistance. Is the squirting/sucking sound we're hearing after bringing the pedal back up with the bleeder closed normal?
Old 10-29-2007, 04:15 PM
10 Second Club

Update for future search purposes:
We went through another hour and over a quart of fluid trying to pressure bleed this thing and made absolutely ZERO progress. The pedal was still stuck to the floor with no pressure. So I got fed up and went out & bought a $30 mitty vac from autozone. I followed the writeup on here and used 8" vacuum, I couldn't believe the air that was still in there. Ten minutes later the clutch pedal feels better than new. So that will be the last time I ever try to pressure bleed a hydraulic clutch....what a waste of time/effort and pointless driveway mess.