Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 in a 1st gen, what power steering hose? 3rd gen box

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 08:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question ls1 in a 1st gen, what power steering hose? 3rd gen box

I have a 3rd gen power steering box in my 69 and a ls1. now I have to get the 3rd gen power steering box connected to the ls1 pump. what have the rest of you done?

thanks

chris
Old 11-05-2007, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have a '99 LS1 from a Camaro, and we used the PS pressure line as follows: Saw-off the hose part of the line, as close as possible to the end of the 3/8dia metal tubing that runs from pump to beginning of rubber hose. You want only the metal tubing portion. Install a JIC 37deg tube-to-male flare compression fitting. Use Parker "26-series" hose fittings with Parker "SAE100R5-206" series hose. Find a local hydraulics supply house for the fittings and hose; they will crimp them for you (ours did it for no charge). All of the fittings above are available at the hydraulics supply store. They're very helpful guys, especially if you explain to them what you're up to .........

We bought the fittings first , and then mocked-up the hose with 3/8dia heater hose. Then down to the hydraulics place for them to cut the 206 hose and crimp it for us. You can use the top end of the LS1 hose for the inlet end tubing , and the swap car hose for the outlet tubing for the bottom end at the rack / steering box. You need about 7/8" of straight tube to be able to use the compression fittings.

The Parker 26 series fittings are much less expensive (a straight 10626-6-6 cost us $6.03) than anything else, and look factory when crimped. The 206 hose is compatible with Dexron up to 250f and Amsoil ATF (a great substitute for almost any ATF) to 305f.

See the fittings and hose at

http://www.parker.com/hpd/literature/pdf/4480_b15.pdf

Last edited by Steve VanS; 11-05-2007 at 10:49 AM.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you can't get around to a shop that will do the work, I used Russell Fittings and there Teflon lined SS Braided hose. Russell has AN fitting and adapters that will connect your LS1 power steering Pump (O-Ring 16mm to AN -6 fitting, #648060) and the Correct Flared fitting for your power steering Box (both High and Low pressure sides). Just cut the Teflon Line Hose to size, connect all of it together and your done.

This setup is rated at 2,500 PSI
Old 11-05-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

all of that works... i used a thirdgen hose and bent it a bit at the pump side and straightened it at the box side. bingo!

Quick Reply: ls1 in a 1st gen, what power steering hose? 3rd gen box