Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS verses LS1 alternators and p.s. pumps

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS verses LS1 alternators and p.s. pumps

I am doing a swap in my 88 camaro with a 5.3L LS engine. I am having clearence problems so I am installing the LS1 intake and assessory brackets to fix my problem. Will my 5.3L alternator and p.s. pump fit the LS1 brackets or do I need to get a LS1 alternator and p.s. pump? Any other info will be appreciated.
Old 11-08-2007, 02:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I cannot comment on the PS pump, but I can tell you for a fact that the 5.3 alternator will fit on the F-Body bracket with no issues. If you plan to use the F-body mount, you will have to drill and tap the iron block for the top mount. I posted a pic of what I am talking about in this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/810373-6-liter-accesories-help.html

Jack
Old 11-08-2007, 02:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

the truck water pump wont clear the ls1 intake.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:21 AM
TECH Regular

Actually, it will with one mod....

None of the truck accessories will fit onto the F-body stuff with the exception of the Alternator...

You can look on Performance Trucks.net (very top of the forum screen) and find the post about adding a LS6 type intake to a truck motor. It involves modifying the water neck of the truck water pump, pressing off the truck pulley and adding a F-body pulley and buying one tensioner from Speartech.

However, if you switch the brackets, you'll need all the F-body accessories. That's what I ended up doing. It just works better in certain chassis.
Old 11-08-2007, 07:51 AM
Teching In

I was planning on swapping all the brackets and waterpump anyway to the LS1 setup. I was not sure about the alt. and ps pump. So, I need a p.s.pump as well. Thanks a bunch!

Quick Reply: LS verses LS1 alternators and p.s. pumps