Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Slave cylinder??

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Slave cylinder??

OK. Dont know if this is going to be a dumb question or not but, i just bought a new slave cylinder and was wondering the correct procedure for installation. I know that fluid eventually travels to it but does there have to be any in it before the install or will it fill up during the bleeding??

Alex
Old 11-14-2007, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

I left mine empty and then bleed it after everything was installed. It worked fine for the next 200-300 miles I drove it, ended up putting the car in the ditch so I can't say if it will last or not.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry about the ride and thanks for the input. I dont know that much on these hydraulics. Been reading up on it though.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can install the slave without bench bleeding. The master is a different story...
Old 11-16-2007, 12:03 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, i installed it and bled it afterwards and works like a champ. It wasnt too hard to do.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:18 PM

Cool Install Instructions

I'm looking to install a new clutch slave cylinder into my T56...

There's some pretty good install instructions for the master cylinder online, and I already replaced that. It solved my dead clutch problem for a week or so, but now it's back to no-pressure. I'm thinking it's the slave, so it's the next step.

Looking at O'reilly's
It says I need to drop the tranny to change it. Is this true? I don't want to crawl under the car until I have a plan.

Thanks!

-Dan
Old 05-15-2008, 12:41 AM
Launching!

pretty much.
you can get to it by first removing the driveshaft, then the transmission crossmember, make sure you support the tranny with a transmission jack/regular jack- keep it nice and level. you dont want to unbolt the bellhousing bolts and have the transmission dangling with no support as it can screw up your pilot bearing in the crank.

after you have it supported, take the bellhousing-to-block bolts out, wiggle and slide the transmission back using the jack, there are dowel pins that help align the bellhousing to the block so it can take some force and patience, once you have the transmission slid back enough to have the input shaft leave the pilot bearing * all you need is enough room to get your hands in between the bellhousing and block to work*

the slave cylinder is located around the base of the input shaft on the transmission, and is held in by two small bolts that are supposed to have a very light torque load on them. be sure to check and find what that reccomended torque load is, being that the slave has an aluminum housing, it can easily crack if you over torque the new one.

of course id reccomend having a small prybar, a clutch aligner(get a cheapie plastic one at napa for less than eight bucks.) a torque wrench, blah blah blah. good luck.
Old 05-15-2008, 11:44 AM

Since I'm pulling the tranny out, would you guys recommend replacing the clutch? Anything else like the throwout bearing or something? I've got ~67K miles on the system. If felt the clutch slip a few times over the years, but it might have been something besides a worn clutch.
Old 05-15-2008, 03:25 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Your already in there and if you have the money do it. Replace the pilot bearing as well. Most new slaves come with a new throwout bearing but check when you order it to be sure.

Quick Reply: Slave cylinder??