Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

stock LS1 potential boosted power??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:00 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default stock LS1 potential boosted power??

Ok well im looking into buying another car in early spring after my current car is paid off. Im gonna either pick up a 98-02 WS6 or a camaro SS. Now, my plans are to turbo it, like i did to my 3.8. I will be fabbing up most the turbo kit. How well would a T72 work on a LS1 as a daily driver? About how much HP can a stock LS1 handle after good tuning and all fuel upgrades etc....My goal would be to have a 500hp daily driver...and also, which would handle the power better in stock form? A 6 spd or a A4?

Im pushing 15psi on my 100% stock 3.8 motor with my T72....can a LS1 handle the same power in stock form?
Old 11-25-2007, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure 8 pounds is the ruel of thumb most people use when it comes to a stock block.

A4 would be easier on the rearend...unless you plan to upgrade, in which case, don't worry about it.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:35 PM
12 Second Club

hey i saw you on fullthrottlev6 or whatever talking about racing some kid in a c5. what happened with that? also, I got a bunch of pamphlets from ati and sts and they both say that you can safely run about 7 pounds of boost on stock ls1.
Old 11-26-2007, 12:13 AM
11 Second Club

The kid in the C5 backed down when he found out how "fast" my car actually was....and so did his buddy in a camaro SS and a New stock C6.

I wouldnt be going with a STS...it would no doubt be a front mount setup that i will fabricate myself....

Would you guys say depending on the tune I could get away with 10psi??
Old 11-26-2007, 08:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kidcamaro98
Ok well im looking into buying another car in early spring after my current car is paid off. Im gonna either pick up a 98-02 WS6 or a camaro SS. Now, my plans are to turbo it, like i did to my 3.8. I will be fabbing up most the turbo kit. How well would a T72 work on a LS1 as a daily driver? About how much HP can a stock LS1 handle after good tuning and all fuel upgrades etc....My goal would be to have a 500hp daily driver...and also, which would handle the power better in stock form? A 6 spd or a A4?

Im pushing 15psi on my 100% stock 3.8 motor with my T72....can a LS1 handle the same power in stock form?
You would be at about the practical limit on a good well tuned stock ls1 at 500 h.p.There are certainly people making more so we are talking ballpark figures.Plan on at the very least upgraded valve springs,the factory springs will not cut it at this level.You probably really need an intercooler or at the very least meth injection.Your best bet on turbo sizing is to talk to one of the experts like Jose at forced induction but I would bet everyone will recomend one of the 76mm turbos.It would meet your goals easily without a lot of boost and give you a lot of room to grow later and have good street manners.The 6 speed is fun but the auto is probably a better choice for a turbo setup,both will work well.Not a lot of durability difference when stock.All of your drivetrain will be in danger and will have to be handled gently,trans.,clutch,drive shaft and rearend.Better to think of h.p. as the limiting factor on your stock motor instead of boost,but ball park,around 10 p.s.i. on stock motor.

Last edited by SUPERBOOST; 11-26-2007 at 08:14 AM. Reason: adding thought
Old 11-26-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

My stock 02 was running 7psi low boost 475rwhp 9psi high boost 525rwhp M6 and I had no problems with it.

Quick Reply: stock LS1 potential boosted power??