Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

major misfiresm no other faults :( help ASAP!! PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 03:23 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default major misfiresm no other faults :( help ASAP!! PLEASE

so the other day drivin along on highway, car starts stumblin, then felt it misfiring like no other, tried to give a lil more gas when i do the power isnt there, then it will surge and buck while tryin to accel all while its misfiring the whole time, the SES is blinking at me not stayin on, then i pulled over let it sit checked under hood really quick for any noticable things wrong, couldnt find anything, so started it back up idled fine...until i gave it gas, then it started again...so i limped home, scanned all i got was multiple misfires thats it, so im like well wtf that dont help me, so i bought all new plugs n wires, started it up, idled fine, sounded really good, gave it some gas after lettin it warm a bit, started misfiring again! but no ses light...shut it off, started again, idled fine, revd up was perfect let sit and warm up all the way revin the whole time, no light smooth idle, then drove it around the block n back home..perfect, went to bed finally, woke up for work, got about 200 feet away started misfiring, ses light starts blinking!!! WTF sooo i dunno what to do its so wierd....anyone have this or what??? i need help ASAP!@!@!
Old 11-28-2007, 08:00 PM
Staging Lane

ok well messed with it a bit more today, got misfire in cyl #1 now, so far ive put new plugs n wires in, now i tried startin the car clearin faults, still ran like poo, then disconnected MAF started up tried that still didnt work, reconnected, then started up let idle for abit then revd the ses started blinkin, scanned got the multiple misfire fault, then the ses light stopped blinkin, re scanned got the CYL 1 fault, sooooooooo i swapped the coil, still in number 1 it said so i dunno....i am bringin a fuel pressure tester home soon if i can get one, someone said try fuel pump but i dunno.....dont seem like a fuel pump please anyone that knows what might be goin on i need all the help i can get.......
Old 11-28-2007, 08:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Run it at night with the lights off and watch under the hood. Rev it up and look for any possible blue spark jumping from that plug or wire. Misfires can be very tough to figure out. Swap that coil to other cylinders and see if the misfire goes with it.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many possible things. If the swapping the coil doesn't work, move on to the injectors. Do like JL8Jeff said and try it at night. You can stick a screwdriver down there to see if it arcs to it, if it happens to zap you, it won't be too bad. Misfires suck.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:50 PM
9 Second Club

when the ses light flashes the car is running extremely rich. Its blinking because it is in a catilist damaging state. You are dumping raw fuel out the exhaust for some reason. Injectors stuck open or not getting fire
Old 11-29-2007, 02:15 AM

Unhappy Having the same problem

Leoni I am also having the same problem except it is with number 3. I replaced the spark plug and the wires. It was fine when I first did it than I drove it home when the light came back on and it started misfiring again. I am a divorced mom of 3 who has been out of work for over 2 years because of health problems so I have to fix everything myself anyone have any ideas what else it could be if so how do I do it.
Old 11-29-2007, 02:37 AM
Teching In

From what you described I had the exact same problem with my car. I replaced everything new plugs, new wires, new coils, new o2's and last thing finally fixed it was replaced the injectors.

Like I said exact same symptoms it would run fine on day and the next day it would be a flashing ses .

You should try and move the switch injector that the cyclinder is missfiring on and see if the missfire follows it thats how I figured mine out.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:12 PM

How hard is it to replace the injectors and how expensive is it.
Old 11-29-2007, 05:38 PM
11 Second Club

Not hard. Relieve the pressure on the fuel rail by the schrader valve. Take your fuel line removal tool to remove the fuel line from the driver's side of the fuel rail. Remove the four bolts and lift. You have to also get the wires off of the rail also. Be sure to put some oil on the o-rings when you put them back in, it makes it easier. I'm not sure how much the injectors are. I have my old stock one's that came out of my car if anyone is interested.
Old 11-29-2007, 06:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah man it could be a whole mess of things. I had the same problem a while back and lucked out, it was only a faulty plug wire. If you think it's your injectors you might wanna dump some good injector cleaner in your gas tank first before you go through the trouble of trying to figure out which injector is bad. Replace your fuel filter too just to be safe.
Make sure your plug wires are good and tight too...you should've got two clicks on the coil end when you changed out your wires.
Have you tried checking all your vacuum lines as well???
Good luck man, I hope it's something simple.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:41 PM
Teching In

New injectors list price is around $160 a peice, $86 from a dealership that is a sponsor on here usually. I would probably look for a used set from a memeber on here a set can be had anywhere from $50 to about $100 shipped.

But I would diffenately move coils around and if the miss doesn't follow coils try to switch injectors around. Don't just throw money at it like I did.
Old 11-29-2007, 09:44 PM
Staging Lane

ok swapped coils still seems to be number 1, but that code doesnt always come back, its usually on hte multiple one, one thing i noticed is when u first start the car up, i think its the a i r system runnin or egr but it makes that whistling kinda noise then after a bout a min or two i shuts off, THATS when it starts acting up it seems......also i have no cats on the car just a btw, soooi dunno im gonna try and get ahold of a fuel psi gauge see if the fuel pump aint pumpin enough...

anyone kno what it should be reading when i do hook one up on the fuel line there ?????
Old 11-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Launching!

couple questions, what kind of scanner are you using to pull the codes? and also you didnt happen t odrive through any rain or large puddles around when this started happening did you? i got stuck in a bad storm in florida. about 2 hours after the sun came out i was cruising on the highway just like you. the car fell on its face, misfires like hell, and the ses starts blinking. go to autozone and they told me its p0300 and p0305 multiple random cylinder misfires and cylinder 5 misfires. i swapped plugs wires, tried switching coils. none of it worked. took it to the dealer and they pulled multiple codes for failed injector drivers in the pcm. the actron scanner couldnt read those.
Old 11-30-2007, 08:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hate to say this, but I had a similar situation, turned out to be valve springs going bad.
They got so soft I could push them off the seat by hand...not good.
It was cyl. 1 on mine at first, and spread to 3, and then 5.
It was explained to me that the passenger side head is the 'hot spot' on an LS1, and that likely lead to the spring failure.
One eventually broke before I got them replaced.
Spare yourself the trouble of troubleshooting everything, and pull the valve cover and see how tight the springs feel...I think you will find your problem.

Good luck.
Old 11-30-2007, 09:20 AM
11 Second Club

I think it should be between 55-60psi, 58 is what mine was. It shouldn't fluctuate, it should be steady at idle. If you can log it while you do a WOT drive then it shouldn't drop more than 3 psi or so.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just like sprayjunkie says probaly weak or broken valve spring, I have had this happen on two different occassions. Just pull valve cover and inspect springs, best thing to do is remove each springs for cracks or breaks. Hope you find the problem, George