Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Whats going on with my clutch/tranny???

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 12:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Whats going on with my clutch/tranny???

Alright, I have a few issues, and I am not sure if they are all related somehow or not. My 98 Formula in my sig has a clutch that is on its way out. I recently replaced the slave and master cylinder (with the newer better ones) and did the "drill mod", as previously to that I noticed the car seeming to spin the clutch a little while already in gear and when I put the petal down. While replacing both the slave and master, I noticed something out of the ordinary. My clutch was worn, but it was wearing from the inside out, instead of the normal wear of the outside in. This also seemed to explain why the clutch wouldn't slip at all going into gear, but how it seemed to slip while it was in gear after I gave it more gas. I am already planning on replacing the clutch, and resurfacing the flywheel (or if the flywheel is toast, just getting a new one). The other problems I have been noticing is that lately about every few days or so the clutch seems to release/catch only about and inch off the floor instead of having a normal engagement feeling almost after having the clutch come all the way up, and today after it engaged fully after only about an inch on the floor the clutch pedal stuck to the floor after several different shifts for about a second before popping back up to the top. After playing around with it on the street I noticed that if I pumped the clutch pedal enough, the clutch seemed to almost "pump" itself back to its normal ingagement and the clutch petal felt normal again. On another possibly non-related issue, the shifter will grind when shifting immediatly in 5th from 4th gear. (God I hope its not a syncro). Now, if I wait a good second or two after putting the clutch pedal to the floor and actually putting it into 5th, then it will go in normally with no grinding. But if I shift it regularly/quickly it grinds most every time.

My big question here is, will replacing my clutch fix all of these problems? Or do I have more issues going on at hand here? Sorry this is long, but it seems with issues like this it is best to have more information and not be vague.