Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

No Start 01 SS

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default No Start 01 SS

Ok so I have a daily driver and I don't drive my Camaro much. Well this week the DD broke so this morning I was forced to take the camaro to class except it wont start. Last time I drive it was about a week and a half ago drive home just fine, this morning climb in her hit the key and nothing, I have power and plenty of it turn the key forward and the starter doesn't do anything no click or anything it is an m6 and I am thinking it could be the clutch start switch or something its acts just like if you don't push in the clutch and try to start it. Any ideas I really need to be able to get to work this afternoon.
Old 12-03-2007, 08:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok so it doesn't seem to be the neutral safety switch .. I removed that and made a jumper to simulate the switch being pushed in and put it in place of the switch and still the same thing ... now im completely clueless
Old 12-05-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

When mine had the same symptoms, and other people I helped, it was the starter relay. I didn't even have to get a new one, just removed and replaced it to get a better connection. It's under the hood in the electrical box, easy to get at. The starter and ignition relays are right next to each other, so you can swap them and if it makes a difference then you know it was your problem. Good luck.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Does the "Security" light stay lit on your gauge cluster? If it does, then the ignition cylinder is not reading the resistor in the key and you will either need to replace the ignition cylinder or bypass it all together. If you need instructions on how to bypass the security feature, let me know, I can walk you through it.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01CamaroV6
Does the "Security" light stay lit on your gauge cluster? If it does, then the ignition cylinder is not reading the resistor in the key and you will either need to replace the ignition cylinder or bypass it all together. If you need instructions on how to bypass the security feature, let me know, I can walk you through it.
We threaded through all this last few times, my security light was also on. I didn't have to replace all that. I had to remove and replace my starer relay, and it hasn't happened in at least 30,000 miles. Maybe you will have to replace stuff, but don't let the security light scare you. Check the starter relay before you spend a dime. Trust me, it has been the problem on here at least three times. You could search threads I posted in and find the guys. I'm pretty sure the security light comes on every time you start the car, just you don't notice it until you're trying to figure out a problem.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Staging Lane

the best tirck on the start relay is to get a fuse holder with wire on it. Place a 15 amp fuse in it. Then look at the starter relay numbers on the pins, locate the #30 and #87. Match the numbers to the relay location on the car. Place the jumper on the 87 then only touch for a second 30. If you hear the car try to start then there is nothing wrong with the starter or relay. (make sure the car is in netrual and E brake is set). Put it all back to the way it was, turn the key about ten times then see if the car will start. If it starts in one of those times chances are the ingition switch on the streeting colum is going out.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Wing Zero
...then there is nothing wrong with the starter or relay...
In theory, but not in practice.

In my case it was just a bad connection between the relay pins and the socket it's held in. I say this because all I did was wiggle the relay a bit, to get a better connection, and after a few episodes, it hasn't happened again in years.

Had I tried that I would have ruled out the relay causing the problem, when it was in fact the connection of the relay.

As I said, if you search for "starter relay" I imagine you will see the posts of other people that had the same problem and solution.
Old 12-20-2007, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1BADTALS1
THANK YOU!! really man thanks it saved me a lot of BS. and everybody should check that first. i still haven't had a problem with it yet.
That was a post from a guy that took the relay advice.

I'm not saying it's definitely the cause, but that it's easy and free to try, and has been the cause of those symptoms for at least a few people.

By the way did you ever figure it out and we're posting for nothing?
Old 12-31-2007, 08:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

My car did that exact same thing a few years ago and out of the blue. Freaked me out. luckily I had my best friend, a Mercedes mechanic, check the relays on the drivers side under the hood and that was it. There shoudl be another relay right next to it that you can swap to see if it turns over before you go buy another. I believe autozone carries them for about 10 bucks. Might be a touch more, but they are not expensive.
Old 01-06-2008, 04:27 AM
On The Tree

I had the same sounding problems to; my SS use to start some day and not others. With the help of the guy on LS1tech I fond it could be the relays so I changed the starter and ignition relays, after that it started up just fine every time.