Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Write up on swapping cams for ls1??

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 02:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Write up on swapping cams for ls1??

im swapping cams only. i have a 00 trans am with almost every bolt on minus manifold and pullys.

instead of doing that im going for cam only. is there a step by step write up on how to swap cams. it has stock heads as well. what is the largest cam i can use running all stock components with out fuel or anything. do i have to do pushrods and springs retainers and valve springs?

so is there a list of stuff i would need including all gaskets or anythign else i need to get it all done or any tricks?

its gonna get done in my shop but i never done a cam before lol or not too technical engine buildings. i do engines, trans, swapping timing belts and sometimes a head now and than but not really know too much bout cams or valve lash and adjusting these rockers

thank you if anyone has a writeup or tell me some parts i need thanks alot in advance
Old 12-04-2007, 03:07 PM
12 Second Club

Heres an good guide but its for cam and heads.
http://www.ls1howto.com/index.php?article=1
Old 12-04-2007, 03:15 PM
10 Second Club

if you didnt know about ls1howto, I hope you are making a sound decision on your cam choice
Old 12-04-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

LS1Howto is a great write-up and has a list of things you will need, or should change during the swap. I still have my stock LS1 manifold and pulley as well, and changed to the MS3. Its a nice cam with great top end power, but it would perform alot better if i had gears rather than the stock 3.42s. You should call TSP, Futral, LG, or Thunder Racing and tell them what kind of power your looking for, and they should easily bea ble to set you up with something nice.
-Joel