Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2001 Impala airbag light on & radio LOC

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2001 Impala airbag light on & radio LOC

Hey Fellas,
I have a 2001 impala i just bought & the Am/Fm LOC is displayed so the stereo wont work.Also the Airbag light is on.I replaced the am/fm radio with a factory cd player out of a same year impala.The LOC is still displayed & cant get the codes up on the radio so I can reset it.So i took it to the dealer.They can get the radio codes reset so it works but they tell me the reason the airbag light is on is because the radio isnt the correct radio & it talks to the BCM.So to fix it I need to get the correct factory radio.NO WAY...I left it again today & said thats not the problem.So he says they might have to reprogram the BCM but says the might not be able to & now its like this wait & see what they come up with next.I bought the car at a good price in the hopes to re sell it.Anyone have any ideas on how to approach this at all????I know theres a interface to buy when you replace the factory radio with an afternarket but it has nothing to do with the airbag light.ItProblem: Installing an aftermarket receiver in many late model GM vehicles means losing the chime that warns the door is open, along with audible safety warnings.

Solution: Metra's VT-GMRC-01 GM Class II Data Bus Interface lets you replace the factory receiver in these vehicles and keep the door chime and all audible safety warnings.
Old 12-10-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

The radio has nothing to do with the SIR system. You reprgram the radio using the tech 2 and it will work. The problem with the airbag is independant of the radio.

Quick Reply: 2001 Impala airbag light on & radio LOC