Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

specific type of RCA cable....?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question specific type of RCA cable....?

I went to Best Buy today and just picked up some generic type RCA cable (12') to hook up the Sub-W output for my Alpine CDA-7894 unit. I got it all plugged in and now the sub is not near as loud as it used to be. It also sounds like it is getting full sound ie: when I stick my ear up to it I can hear the mids and highs. I have messed around with all of the settings and can't seem to get the sub to perform like it should/did.

This is the type of cable I bought, can you buy a wrong type of cable?

P
Old 12-10-2007, 08:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can hear mids and highs your crossover isn't set properly...OR...does that Alpine have more than one set of pre-outs? I think you might have the amp connected to the wrong pre-outs on the head unit. Did you replace another set of RCA cables? There are "inline" crossovers that you might have not even realized were connected to one end of your old RCA's.
Old 12-10-2007, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

x2 something isnt set up properly, rca's have nothing to do with it
Old 12-10-2007, 09:17 PM
Launching!

I have 2 separate amps, one for the doors and rear pillar/panel, and the other just for the sub. I may just be an idiot, I messed with it for about 10 minutes trying to play with all the crossover settings. Even downloaded the manual and tried what I read in there.

The head unit has 3 sets of pre-outs (front/rear/sub-w) The amp I have running the 4 high/mid speakers does not have a front/rear option...so I have just the front pre-out hooked up to that one and it works just fine. And I have the Sub-W now hooked up going right to the other amp, which is only powering the sub.

My previous set up just had the front pre-out going to a California Profile big *** cross-over. I have eliminated it because the new head unit has the RCA connections that my previous unit did not.

I will try fooling around with it tomorrow or later on tonight.

P
Old 12-11-2007, 05:04 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by O Holy P
I have 2 separate amps, one for the doors and rear pillar/panel, and the other just for the sub. I may just be an idiot, I messed with it for about 10 minutes trying to play with all the crossover settings. Even downloaded the manual and tried what I read in there.

The head unit has 3 sets of pre-outs (front/rear/sub-w) The amp I have running the 4 high/mid speakers does not have a front/rear option...so I have just the front pre-out hooked up to that one and it works just fine. And I have the Sub-W now hooked up going right to the other amp, which is only powering the sub.

My previous set up just had the front pre-out going to a California Profile big *** cross-over. I have eliminated it because the new head unit has the RCA connections that my previous unit did not.

I will try fooling around with it tomorrow or later on tonight.

P
ah, the x-over wasn't mentioned in the first post. if it was louder when it was going through the x-over, and now it's quieter with the x-over removed, then you probably had some type of bass boost enabled in the x-over, or a bass level control that made it louder.

your head unit may have its own bass boost or subwoofer level control, also....check its user manual
Old 12-11-2007, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Ding, I think you are right, I looked at the x-over last night and saw the bass boost control. I think that was the issue. :-/ Seems to work ok, still not as loud as it was, oh well.

P
Old 12-11-2007, 06:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

its not the cables themselves though, those should work fine