Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Astros have a new closer

And his name isn't Chad Qualls.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5380151.html

-Mike
Old 12-14-2007, 10:59 PM
Texas Director

Wow. Wade isn't playing around. This will be an interesting year coming up for the 'Stros.
Old 12-14-2007, 11:25 PM
10 Second Fun Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im going to need a program when I go to the Astros game this year just to figure out whos playing!
Old 12-15-2007, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Nice! Top closer in the NL with 47 saves last season
Old 12-15-2007, 01:01 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Sweet!
Old 12-15-2007, 01:28 AM
TECH Addict

edit: He lead MLB in saves!
Old 12-15-2007, 02:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Hmmmm actually feeling pretty confident about this season. It just won't look like the normal astros
Old 12-15-2007, 05:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmiller
Wow. Wade isn't playing around. This will be an interesting year coming up for the 'Stros.
I'm excited
Old 12-15-2007, 05:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Hmmmm actually feeling pretty confident about this season. It just won't look like the normal astros
Team will definatly look differant but i like the moves that were made.
But we still have Berkman
Old 12-15-2007, 08:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 00T\A
Team will definatly look differant but i like the moves that were made.
But we still have Berkman

Berkman is starting to become a whiney little bitch. I've heard a couple interviews with him lately where he has been very critical of all these trades. Before we got Tejada, he was more or less saying he didn't want him, and that we should be going after pitchers instead. He went on to say the Astros had a bad season last year because they didn't sign Andy Pettitte, and management seemed really anxious on disassembling the team that went to the World Series. Actually, he mentioned the World Series about six times in a five minute interview.

Yes, Lance, we need pitching. There is no doubt of that. However, aside from Santana and D-Train, who are the really good pitchers available this offseason? And the Astros just didn't have enough good players to make it worth the Marlins' or the Twins' time to get those guys.

I heard him again this week, saying "Anyone who tells me Andy Pettitte took steroids is basically a liar." Guess what, Lance. Your buddy Andy is a cheater. I hated to see his name on that list too, because there are some people in my extended family who know his family. But if there's a mountain of evidence that says he took steroids/HGH, and he's the only one saying "Nuh uh", it looks pretty bad.

Bottom line is, Lance needs to shut up, figure out what's wrong with HIS game, and show up to spring training in shape.

-Mike
Old 12-15-2007, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Wow they are really wheelin' and dealin'!
Old 12-15-2007, 12:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Berkman is starting to become a whiney little bitch. I've heard a couple interviews with him lately where he has been very critical of all these trades. Before we got Tejada, he was more or less saying he didn't want him, and that we should be going after pitchers instead. He went on to say the Astros had a bad season last year because they didn't sign Andy Pettitte, and management seemed really anxious on disassembling the team that went to the World Series. Actually, he mentioned the World Series about six times in a five minute interview.

Yes, Lance, we need pitching. There is no doubt of that. However, aside from Santana and D-Train, who are the really good pitchers available this offseason? And the Astros just didn't have enough good players to make it worth the Marlins' or the Twins' time to get those guys.

I heard him again this week, saying "Anyone who tells me Andy Pettitte took steroids is basically a liar." Guess what, Lance. Your buddy Andy is a cheater. I hated to see his name on that list too, because there are some people in my extended family who know his family. But if there's a mountain of evidence that says he took steroids/HGH, and he's the only one saying "Nuh uh", it looks pretty bad.

Bottom line is, Lance needs to shut up, figure out what's wrong with HIS game, and show up to spring training in shape.

-Mike

I agree. Lance has become a bit of a whiner the last couple of years. I bet we'll hear even more crap from him since his best little buddy Chris Burke got shipped out of here.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:44 PM
Banned

I heard something on espn about how they were in talks w/ Mark Prior. I say bring him in, he will be pretty cheap and if he somehow can stay healthy (BIG IF) they stros' will have one of the best 1-2 punches in the bigs.

I remember I couldn't wait for the season to end now it can't come soon enough.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Berkman really needs to STFU. Clubhouse chemistry last year? You guys looked like a bunch of dead dogs. Hopefully, these recent trades will actually create some "clubhouse chemistry", because there was no fire last year.
Berkman said he's concerned about clubhouse chemistry after general manager Ed Wade's drastic makeover of a club that went to the World Series in 2005. Berkman is one of only five players left from that team.

"I feel like I've been traded to the Astros," he said. "It's a completely different team. It saddens me in a way. All those guys and what we've gone through the last couple of years, it creates a tight bond. It's tough.

"I've been in this organization for 11 years and have played in the minor leagues with a lot of these guys and have seen them come up and develop, and we were very comfortable with each other. It's been a tough offseason for me, personally."

The Astros acquired four-time All-Star shortstop Miguel Tejada from Baltimore on Wednesday and All-Star closer Jose Valverde from Arizona on Friday, trading away three top pitching prospects in the process.

Berkman said Valverde's fist pumps and antics on the mound didn't sit well with the some Astros when they played against him.

"Valverde had a good year last year, but I am not going to lie," Berkman said. "I am definitely concerned about his antics. He's one of the more demonstrative pitchers in the league, and I know that from playing against him that rubs guys the wrong way.

"It reflects poorly on the team and doesn't do anything but give the opposing team fuel for the next time he goes out. I hope those issues are addressed. This team might take a while from a chemistry standpoint to get together.

"I may not be right about that. We may get in there and everybody clicks, but I do know we had great chemistry in the clubhouse before, and that's a question mark going into the season."
Old 12-17-2007, 09:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Berkman is trying to be the clubhouse leader, and that's great. However, he needs to face reality. The Astros just weren't getting it done with their "one big happy family" mindset. Wade has come in to shake things up, and he has. Last season, management decided to make some minor changes and hope for the best. It blew up in their faces and people had to be fired. I'm sorry if he's going to be uncomfortable, but...well, tough.

-Mike
Old 12-17-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by chupr0kabra
Berkman is trying to be the clubhouse leader, and that's great. However, he needs to face reality. The Astros just weren't getting it done with their "one big happy family" mindset. Wade has come in to shake things up, and he has. Last season, management decided to make some minor changes and hope for the best. It blew up in their faces and people had to be fired. I'm sorry if he's going to be uncomfortable, but...well, tough.

-Mike
Right. And he needs to learn leaders don't rip on new teammates through the media.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by -Ross-
Right. And he needs to learn leaders don't rip on new teammates through the media.
Exactly. Bagwell would have handled it behind closed doors, like a true leader.

He talks about team chemistry, but he rips the new closer before he has a chance to talk to him? Yeah, that's great for chemistry.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hawgs
Exactly. Bagwell would have handled it behind closed doors, like a true leader.

He talks about team chemistry, but he rips the new closer before he has a chance to talk to him? Yeah, that's great for chemistry.
I think he needs to just focus on staying in shape and being game ready come March. If he comes into spring training in tip-top shape and ready to win that will set a very good example for the younger guys and the new teammates.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeerHunter_Z28
I remember I couldn't wait for the season to end now it can't come soon enough.
I said this about the Rockets this year also. I wont get my hopes too high for the Stros.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Charlie Hustle
I said this about the Rockets this year also. I wont get my hopes too high for the Stros.
Yeah, well the Rockets changed coaches and brought in a bunch of big name guys who used to be really good and made big changes to the team. It's different.

...oh, wait.