Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

FRCs are plastic

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FRCs are plastic

I received my Custom FRCs yesterday.I was suprised to see they were made of the same material as the license cover.I thought they would be made from sheet metal.

I don't think it matters as long as they don't get limp when they get warmed up.I'm having a h*ll of a time trying to get them on,no flipping room in there,i already put a scratch in one of them So far i can't even get the passenger side on

Any tips would be helpfull.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: FRCs are plastic

Yes they are plastic, but so is your intake manifold for that matter

You have to modify them in order to fit an fbody.

Example

Example2

Good luck!

Edit: Do you mean custom as in, they were already done up by someone? If so I would get on the phone with them--make sure they cut it right
Old 06-27-2003, 11:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yes,they are custom made for an f-body,they've been hacked up pretty good,it still seems tight though.It's going to be a PITA to put them on,not looking forward to it.
Old 06-27-2003, 11:44 AM
TECH Resident

Mine were a PIA to put on too, I think everone has problems with at least one side, if not both. There are great instructions here, if you haven't read these already:
http://www.thecheckeredflagstore.com/
Left side of the page there is a link to instructions.

Good luck!
Old 06-27-2003, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Oh, I had to bend some air tubes out of the way to fit mine in on the passenger side. It really helps to remove the throttle cable clip that is on the driver's side. Other than that, I think everything else was in the istruction link I posted. I tore my hands up pretty good putting them on too, and put a few scratches in the FRC's while I was at it. Oh well, they were towards the back where no one can see them.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know what you mean about the air tubes,i'm going to have to pull them up a little to get the FRC under them.

Thanks for the help.
Old 06-27-2003, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you have to do all that customizing to make them fit? It doesn't look good when you cut'em up like that! I can't recall it looking all cut up like that on a friends bird. Maybe I wasn't paying attention.
Old 06-28-2003, 06:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

That first link is my webshots photos, ..., & yea the major cuts that are made are hidden under the cowl area anyway, so you'll never see those cut areas again. The only minor cuts out in the open are for the oil dipstick tube, (Which can be a drilled hole.), & the throttle bracket near the front topside on the passenger side.

Sometimes you must bend the airtubes out a bit to gain a small amount of installation clearance. Not a problem. I also removed the drivers side throttle bracket as someone else mentioned.

Yes you can spend more money & have some very nice looking custom ones made. But if you buy the covers yerself & simply cut them, it's much less money. And you get the glory of doing it yerself.

And it is a mod well worth any money you spend because it hides a lot of crap under there.

So, in general, don't worry about the cuts made, you won't see'em, ...

Quick Reply: FRCs are plastic