Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

spohn torque arm doesnt fit!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2003, 01:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default spohn torque arm doesnt fit!!!!

just tried it, pissed off my apartment having my car jacked up all day and it doesnt fit, the driveshaft loop hits the y pipe there is about an inch of interference and no way was it fitting even trying to push the exhaust out of the way it wasnt even close... that sux guess ill have to wait till headers and duals or soemthing
Old 06-27-2003, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: spohn torque arm doesnt fit!!!!

Yep, same problem here. Doesn't like the stock y-pipe. Had to bend the sh*t out of the y-pipe. Had other issues with it so I took it off.
Old 06-27-2003, 03:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

what other issues? seems like a quality piece just pissed they didnt bother to say something about it not fitting stock exhaust...
Old 06-27-2003, 04:48 PM
TECH Regular

It is a quality piece but the fitment sucks ***.

Per spohn recommendations you will have to do what I did

Use a jack, with the torque arm installed, jack up on the DS loop enough to help it clear, be careful how much you jack it up you don't want to hit the tunnel and the next thing you have to do if you have clearance problems with your driveshaft is to do this.

on a lift take a big *** crescent wrench, tighten it down on the two bars that the driveshaft loop itself connects to. Take a big long strong bar (we used a piece of roll cage tubing) and tweak the DS loop towards the passenger side, this is where most people including myself have clearance issues.

After doing all this it fits perfect.
Old 06-27-2003, 05:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

yeah i think ill wait till i go to duals or a diff y-pipe.
one question please tell me what the drain tube that is connected to the torque arm goes to seems i yanked it out and in my frustration of the whole not fitting i didnt put it back couldnt find where it went and gave up.... is it necessary looks like a check valve or something and t-ed to a long and short drain tube on each end??????
Old 06-27-2003, 09:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

ttt
Old 06-28-2003, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

what other issues? seems like a quality piece just pissed they didnt bother to say something about it not fitting stock exhaust...
If you try the first set of holes, it hits the tunnel and the TA is not parallel with the drive shaft. Some guys just pound their tunnel but I like my car too much to do that. You should NEVER have to do that just to make an aftermarket part fit. I called Spohn and they said to use the 2nd set of holes which requires serious cutting/grinding.

Here's what I posted after I installed it (ls1.com):

What a long weekend! I get my 12 bolt in and everything is going good until I mount the Spohn Torque Arm (TA). First, the TA won't go on the 12 bolt until I grind some paint off the inside of the TA where it mounts on the axle. I finally get it on and use the 1st set of bolt holes. There's no way the 2nd set of holes would work without serious grinding the sh*t out of the TA and axle. Then I mount the front part but notice the driveshaft loop is hitting my stock Y-pipe. WTF??? Unbolt the y-pipe from tranny and use a bottle jack to bend the exhaust a little. Get it all mounted and everything looks good. Start jacking up the 12 bolt more and notice the Spohn TA mount at the axle is hitting the tunnel. WTF??? I made sure the axle was centered. Torque arm is not even parallel with the driveshaft. I start studying the whole thing and realized I need to use those 2nd set of holes that will require major grinding and cutting. So the next day (today) I disconnect everything and completely remove the 12 bolt *sigh*. I figure thats the only way to do it since I need to grind on top and bottom of the axle. I tried to grind as little as possible. Then came the Spohn bracket. I had to cut one corner of it pretty good so it would fit. Trial and error several times with the grinder and I finally get the 2nd set of holes to line up. What a PITA!!! In the process, I cut my finger pretty good with the grinder. Blood everywhere... It's one of those "maybe I should go get stitches" cut. Anway, it all went on okay and seams like it's going to work. I went to the hardware store and got some longer bolts since the moser bolts are a little short and the Spohn TA bracket is pretty thick. I used tons of red thread lock and made sure they were super tight with a breaker bar (read stories that they loosen up). I got the axle in and the bracket clears the tunnel now. That was basically my whole weekend. Just thought I'd let others know in case someone else is doing the same thing. Did anyone else running the same setup run into this problem? I have to admit the Spohn setup is very nice but I wish they would of made this TA fit a 12 bolt better.
pics:
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...ts/spohnta.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...s/spohnta2.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...s/spohnta3.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...s/spohnta4.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...s/spohnta5.jpg
http://www.off-road.com/~sspickler/p...s/spohnta6.jpg

As for the noise- Basically when power is applied, it makes a loud THUD which I guess is normal after talking to some shops. Its the shackle design that causes this. You can really hear it when your going down the road and you push the clutch in/out. I also had to bend the stock y-pipe AGAIN just to make it so it wouldn't rattle on the front driveshaft loop. I like my car to be quiet. Kind of embarassing when you take people for rides and they ask whats wrong with your car. I think its worse for the M6 than the A4. The A4 always applies torque to the TA so you shouldn't hear the noise driving down the road.
Old 06-28-2003, 01:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use a sphon w/o loop, with a jegster loop, incon tt ypipe and a strange 12 bolt. the axle mount needs grinding to slide on the axle, but everything else aligns & fits perfectly, plenty of y-pipe clearance.

Quick Reply: spohn torque arm doesnt fit!!!!