Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

FI Fuel System questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2007, 08:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default FI Fuel System questions

Hey everyone,
Well i am going a little farther with my car this winter. I made a turbo kit change to get my AC back, and am looking to get it more streetable. I have a forged ls6 bottom going in with 317's and a custom cam. I will be running on pump and meth and would also like a race+meth tune. As of currently, the fuel system consists of a single racetronix, 60#'s and the meth to help. Ideally, the premium setup would be 2 intanks on a hobbs, high flow rails, -8 feed/-6 return, boost ref regulator. However, i'm wondering if i want to do these in steps, like maybe do the dual pumps now and add rails maybe, how will that do? Really, for my set up, how necessary is a return line setup? I've asked around and got mixed views from reliable sources so i'm a bit confused.... I've heard i will be fine with no return line and therefore no regulator, but adding that would be ideal, and i've also heard with everything mentioned, except run a single pump and boost a pump and i'll be fine, which is pretty reliant on that single pump making the pressure for me. I just don't really know where to go from here, could someone lead me to where i should start? Thanks!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 12-22-2007, 08:48 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel system is cheap compared to a blown motor. Especially a nice forged blown motor. Using Meth for safety is great. Using Meth for a fuel addy is risky...meth pump burps and you have a blown motor.

If it were me I'd either:

1. Keep the single pump, no return and 550rwhp max for safety.

2. Do it right with 2 pumps, front mounted regulator, returnline and be good to 850ish rwhp depending on injectors,pumps,etc...proper injectors/pumps +1000rwhp. -8an/-6an.
Old 12-22-2007, 08:55 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok gotchya, well the meth isnt tuned for fuel, its in there for added cooling pretty much, i just figured i'd post up that i have it, but when the car is retuned, i wont have it tuned to be reliant on the meth. I totally understand that concept. So the dual pumps for sure, when is the return line/regulator a must, or pretty much a necessity after the 550?

Old 12-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Superman09
ok gotchya, well the meth isnt tuned for fuel, its in there for added cooling pretty much, i just figured i'd post up that i have it, but when the car is retuned, i wont have it tuned to be reliant on the meth. I totally understand that concept. So the dual pumps for sure, when is the return line/regulator a must, or pretty much a necessity after the 550?
That becomes a bit of a guess since the injectors are going to see a direct pressure drop from the dropping fuel pressure. With dual pumps and the stock regulator the line pressure will be around 58psi. Then the boost hits and the injector will see the pressure drop of the boost. So at 10psi of boost the injector will see 58-10=48psi of fuel...so the injector now flows less when you need it to flow more. So at some point you keep increasing boost and decreasing fuel pressure at the injector and you run out of injector. That will be your max hp with dual pumps and no front mount boost referenced regulator....you'd have to find that point on a dyno for safety.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Tiago is using the stock feed as a return.

im doing the dual intank, -8feed/-6 return, speed inc rails, 60lb mototrons, br fpr. i think thats it. the **** adds up really quick. especially with the AN pieces.
Old 12-22-2007, 02:52 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are upping the boost, definitely get a boost referenced FPR. As mentioned above, your injectors work on the differential pressure between them, so you really want the fuel pressure in the rails to rise as the intake manifold pressure rises that way you have a constant delta pressure of fuel across the injectors. I used the stock feed line along the frame rails and the EVAP as a return. This setup can be done relatively inexpensive compared to running all new lines. Takes a little modification but works great up to 750rwhp from what I've been told.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:00 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Ok thanks guys. Right now what i'm thinking is a set up with -8 feed, stock feed as return, BR FPR, rails, dual pumps... Any other input/suggestions? Thanks!

Old 12-22-2007, 06:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

how bout adding a KB or MSD BAP to a single 255 pump? I think thats good to 650rwhp.
Old 12-22-2007, 06:56 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
how bout adding a KB or MSD BAP to a single 255 pump? I think thats good to 650rwhp.
We maxed this setup out around 600rwhp, turbo boost.

The best thing to do is either a full re-do of the system or run a new feed, a -8feed and running the stock feed as return is one of the cheapest and most effective fuel systems i have done. I like to run all braided line but it adds up.

For big hp, a -10 feed and a -8 return is the key.
Old 12-24-2007, 09:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by Superman09
Hey everyone,
Well i am going a little farther with my car this winter. I made a turbo kit change to get my AC back, and am looking to get it more streetable. I have a forged ls6 bottom going in with 317's and a custom cam. I will be running on pump and meth and would also like a race+meth tune. As of currently, the fuel system consists of a single racetronix, 60#'s and the meth to help. Ideally, the premium setup would be 2 intanks on a hobbs, high flow rails, -8 feed/-6 return, boost ref regulator. However, i'm wondering if i want to do these in steps, like maybe do the dual pumps now and add rails maybe, how will that do? Really, for my set up, how necessary is a return line setup? I've asked around and got mixed views from reliable sources so i'm a bit confused.... I've heard i will be fine with no return line and therefore no regulator, but adding that would be ideal, and i've also heard with everything mentioned, except run a single pump and boost a pump and i'll be fine, which is pretty reliant on that single pump making the pressure for me. I just don't really know where to go from here, could someone lead me to where i should start? Thanks!
You should consider contacting Lonnies Performance for a total plug & play system that can support your HP requirements and is very affordable.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<

Quick Reply: FI Fuel System questions