Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

67 Chevelle LS2 install

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 67 Chevelle LS2 install

Newbie to this forum here guys. I am currently installing a LS2 into my 67 Chevelle, the trans is an automatic and the motor is out of a GTO.. Now I know I need the gas pedal which I have and I already ordered and received the motor mounts for it. I was told that a GTO pan willnot work with this setup and that I need to install a Camaro or Firebird pan which has to be modified to clear the crosssmember. I have a few questions:

1. Will an LS1 pan fit an LS2?
2. What transmission mount do I have to use?
3. I have the stock ecm and was wondering if it would be better to obtain an aftermarket harness to ease the installation and clean things up?
4. The car is a convertible and I do not need the A/C compressor could I eliminate it without having problems?
5. Do I have to midify the trans tunnel to acomadate the transmission?

Sorry for all the questions, I am used to big block Chevy's and I don't know jack about these motors other than the power they make is unbelievable.
Old 01-05-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome to the forum KO, that is a great swap! I will answer the questions I can:

1. Yes the LS1 pan will fit and LS2. You will need a matching pickup. Street and Performance (www.hotrodlane.cc) is one vendor that will sell a modified pan that will fit your application.

2. I believe you will be able to use your Chevelle crossmember, You may have to move it back a ways. The standard Chevy trans mount will bolt to your tranny.

3. For excellent advice and service on your harness and ECU, contact John at Speartech.com. He is a board sponsor, is very helpful and provides excellent products and service. He can modify a stock harness or build a custom one from scratch, that's the route I went.

4. The AC compressor has it's own belt and mount. You can eliminate it without a problem.

5. One of the A Body guys will have to answer this one.

Good luck and keep us posted. We love pictures and project journals! Do a search on Chevelle, A Body, 442 and GTO. There are builds with all of those on the forum

Pat
Old 01-05-2008, 05:37 PM
TECH Resident

Welcome good to see another 67 around here. Check out my chevelle mount thread for some pics and tips. I assume you are using the 4l60e tranny which should fit without modifying the tunnel although it is a bit tight. I used a BRP style mount on mine which sets the engine back far enough to keep from modifying my pan (f-body pan) but it was tight squeeze getting it in there. Also with my F-body front drive accessories the alternator was a very tight fit with the steering box but I am not sure about the GTO front drive setup.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the answers you guys, I already bought the mounts from street and performance and they informed me about the pan modification which I will probably send out to have them modify it. I will post pics as I have them available. I am currently doing a frame off on it and am prettty far out progress wise.
Old 01-05-2008, 08:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Welcome to the forum.. There are a number of A-Body swap ongoing and completed.. Mine is a 71 and has been done for a year now. you can see my project by following the link in my sig..

keep us posted on the project..
Old 01-05-2008, 09:10 PM
TECH Resident

This is a link to my A body project. A 65 f-85 cutlass.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/836762-1965-ls1-f85-project-pic-s.html
I have always been told that they are very similar to the 66 and 67 chevelle. I have owned a 66 SS 396 thats why I bought the 65 cutlass it reminded me of it. Many parts are interchangable. Perhaps the chevy's have a bigger trans tunnel but mine needs much mod to clear the 4l60E. You might want to mock up the engine/body prior to a frame off restore. I believe I will be able to deform the tight areas but if this was a professional job the floor would need to be cut and raised in several areas to be show quality. My project is a driver so I don't mind denting my perfect floor pans. I was able to fab my own mounts using the f-body mounts that came with my engine. I had no A/C clearance issues like the newer model chevelle's seem to have. But my Altinator has to be relocated because it wipes out the gear box. Good luck .
Old 01-06-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Im in the process of the swap on my 71 Chevelle. Im also using the S&P mounts. I had Canton make me a pan for mine. They now make a swap pan based off my design. S&P also made me a front assy drive, so I could keep everything nice and tight so I would have room for the turbos.

Your questions have already been answered, but if you need anything else, just post up! There is alot of people here that already did the swap, and there is many differnt ways to do it.

Ron

Quick Reply: 67 Chevelle LS2 install