Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

rectangular port 427 heads, header question

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 05:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default rectangular port 427 heads, header question

my buddy brought his 69 camaro over for me to put headers on it. The headers are for oval ports as well as the gaskets..will these work? Sorry, ive never really messed with big blocks so i need to know what he needs as far as headers. I would figure they make a header for the rect port, but i dont know. Ive searched and searched google and havent reallly came up with anything. It had some square port gaskets on it with oval port headers and it was leaking like crazy. I dont know if it was because the headers were warped or what. Will these new oval port headers seal with the right gaksets, or does he need to send them back for different ones? I put the gaskets up to one another and It doesnt look like it would seal very good but i dont know. Thanks
Old 01-05-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the ex. gaskets will work fine as long as EXTENSIVE portwork was not done to the ex.ports...i had the same type of set up on a few different cars.
get them done so he can feel all that sick TQ
Old 01-05-2008, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Oval & Rectangular ports refer to the intake ports not the exhaust ports but there are different headers that take different gaskets.From what i remember there are D shape ,oval & square header gaskets you just have to match the headers ports to the gasket.The intake is the only thing you worry about to match oval port or rectangular heads.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

well the headers came with round gaskets, but when i put them up to the head, it seems they cover up some of the port, unlike the square port gaskets that were on there.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Addict

It's possible someone could have hogged out the exhaust ports.Try the round gaskets if not he may have to get different headers.Hooker supercomp headers are good they come in different sizes.

Quick Reply: rectangular port 427 heads, header question