Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Okay I am out of ideas...I need YOUR suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2003, 09:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Okay I am out of ideas...I need YOUR suggestions.

Well basically, here is where I am sitting.

I have a 01 SS A4, right now I have a short block that is needing a heads/cam setup. I am going to be running a Yank 3800 stall converter, and 3.55 rear gears (ford rear-end).

I want this to be a fairly aggressive setup. I have been playing with Desktop Dyno 2000, and I have come up with some kinda cool cam setups. I know they are purely speculation, but soo far the one I like the best, is basically the GM Grand Am Cup cam, a 239/251 .580 .580 on a 110 LSA.

I am going to use LS6 heads that are ported and worked extensively, because I will eventually upgrade the shortblock to a stroker, and probably add forced induction (not sure which one 1st).

Soo, now you guys give me your advice based on my above ideas please!

Thanks!

TireFryer
Old 07-02-2003, 03:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: Okay I am out of ideas...I need YOUR suggestions.

Well basically, here is where I am sitting.

I have a 01 SS A4, right now I have a short block that is needing a heads/cam setup. I am going to be running a Yank 3800 stall converter, and 3.55 rear gears (ford rear-end).

I want this to be a fairly aggressive setup. I have been playing with Desktop Dyno 2000, and I have come up with some kinda cool cam setups. I know they are purely speculation, but soo far the one I like the best, is basically the GM Grand Am Cup cam, a 239/251 .580 .580 on a 110 LSA.

I am going to use LS6 heads that are ported and worked extensively, because I will eventually upgrade the shortblock to a stroker, and probably add forced induction (not sure which one 1st).

Soo, now you guys give me your advice based on my above ideas please!

Thanks!

TireFryer
My thoughts are, you are picking the wrong heads and cam for a turbo/supercharger setup. If you add ls6 heads, you will have to figure out a way to drop your compression and get a different cam at a later date should you go with turbo/blower....if you are going to drop your compression later anyway, ls6 heads are a waste of $800 since the 6.0L heads drop the compression, will flow just about as good as ls6 heads and are a buttload cheaper.

If you only plan on using nitrous, I think ls6 heads and that cam are a great idea.

If you are doing a turbo/blower and not nitrous, I say go with 6.0L heads and a much smaller cam that will be compatible with your forged motor at a later date, and will also allow you to run a blower/turbo now before you run a forged stroker. By going with ls6 heads/big cam now, you cannot run a blower/turbo before you get the stroker. You are just limiting your options.
Old 07-02-2003, 10:41 AM
On The Tree

Default Re: Okay I am out of ideas...I need YOUR suggestions.

Hey Verbs,

I am actually going back to my original plan of sticking with a budget. I am probably going to do a stroker block within a year, then possibly add an S/C on top of that a little farther down the road.

Soo, for right now, I am gonna go back to my original plan of high comp. and a big cam.