Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Future 408 build, need your opinion guys.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 01:28 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Talking Future 408 build, need your opinion guys.

I got a '00 camaro actually 110k miles, my goal is to get around 500hp at the end of the year, my car is a streed driven car , i drive it 2 or 3 days a week around town, so power from 0-3000 is a must and steady at idle also.

heres how story begins:
After the waters my engine hydrolocked so now i got a death stock engine .. it got two 1" cracks just where the oil pan and block met, also the oilpan got a 1" crack on it . so now is time to upgrade for more power.
since this happen I have been reading and asking questions to some sponsors. i decide to go with a 408 iron block from TSP. I got ~4k to spend on this project on the 1st stage, the TSP 408 is around $3700.00 plus shipping, crate and all that is extra,

I will need :
-Gasket kit (looking for best price)
-used oil pan (i think i can get this one locally for cheap but if not i will hit ebay)
-tune(tsp offer me a mail order tune seem to be a good option until i change head+cam)

what i got:
-umi k-member (to reduce some weight, keep a better look, and fit headers better)
-pacesetters headers
-OR y-pipe
-new water pump (i install this one a week before engine dies )

i will be selling
cats, headers, stock k member.

this is the first time i will mess with an ls1 engine so i still got a lot of questions, and will be great if some of you can clarify me the road before spending 4 grands.

what else i will need to to buy for the swap ?
what else can i sell?
-how much time it will take to swap the blocks (average)?
-how much money can i get out of the old block?
-2nd stage of the build will be oil pump + timing chain + heads + cam in 4 months , it's mandatory to do some of this swaps now or i can reuse old ones?
-what would you do if you where in my situation?, you would go 408? or something else? I got 4 grands for this, can be more, can be less but this is what i got without hurting my wallet right now.

all options, advise, opinions, sponsor suggestions are welcome. I'm doing my homework reading and searching but all those that have been in the same boat can help me with their experience.

hope somebody can jump in and give me a hand here, in my town theres no shop or person that know about this,so im researching everything online or phone.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:41 PM
On The Tree

I have a 408 from TSP. You'll be happy with it. You will need a few things though to bring out the full potential:

1) FAST 90 intake with 90mm TB. Ported intake is best, but at the very least port-matched to the head intake ports.
2) A stock replacement Melling oil pump with the blue spring.
3) Underdrive pulley with matching belts.
4) Cam + heads + timing chain you've got that covered already. Make sure you do some research and read a lot before deciding on that combo as it's what will define what power the motor ultimately makes. Don't forget to make your valvetrain a part of that upgrade too (springs, pushrods and lifters to support the cam).
5) Poly motor mounts or at the very least put a new set of stockers in there.
6) Set some money aside to put brand new sensors in there. Crank Position, Cam position, Oil sender, Knock sensors, MAP sensor, IAT, ECT, etc). You want to do that while the engine is out.
7) 16* thermostat
8) Injectors sized for your goals N/A and any power adder you plan in the future.
9) Valvecover breather for crankcase ventilation.
10) Delete PCV system or at the very least install a catch can.
11) Tune, you will need one
12) Buy or rent a 2 ~ 3 ton hoist to lift the body off the K-member.

As far as time, it can be done in 2 days. Day 1=teardown/clean, and Day 2=Transfer items/install. This of course if you take out the entire engine and transmission/headers in one piece by dropping the K-member. Likewise, build it all up and then drop the car onto the K-member in reverse fashion and hook everything up.

Do a search, there's a lot of people who have done this a posted pictures. I have lots of my own if you want them.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:40 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're on a budget check out weber racing. They are a sponsor and are celebrating their 40th anniversary by running all sorts of crazy sales. You should be able to save a couple hundred dollars or so which you can put towards other parts.
Old 01-12-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

youll need knock sensor ext. I believe and something is different about the cam sensor than on an ls1, so look into that.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:34 AM
On The Tree

check with a local welding shop and see if the oil pan can be repaired.
Old 01-13-2008, 12:26 PM
On The Tree

You're going to need more than $4k with everything added up in the end. If you want that short block, then attach everything off your ls1, you're going to be choking it off with the heads and intake. Not to mention the supporting mods. It can be done, but you're still going to have to put a lot of money into it a piece at a time...which will be more expensive than doing it right the first time.

Do you still have the stock 10 bolt? Plan on that going shortly after the swap. Stock clutch? Not going to last too long behind a 408.

I don't think you're going to get as much as you're hoping for from your stock pieces, so I wouldn't factor in any money from them for your build. Even after you've come up with a complete list of things, there's going to be enough in random extras you didn't think of that will take up at least as much as you're going to get from the sale of your parts.

If you want to go that route, you can, but I think you'll be continually playing catch up with the rest of the parts that will be needing replacement/repairs.

Someone correct me if I'm thinking wrong, but I think that a 383 stroker LS1 build might be a cheaper option? Might get you closer to where you want to be with the budget you have in mind.

Just my $.02. Either way, good luck with your build.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Banned

We have our Stage 1 408 on sale for $3475! Here is a link to it here:http://weberracing.net/Engine-Type-G...duct_info.html

Shoot me a PM with your location and I can let you know what you are looking at as far as freight goes.

If you wanted us to build your engine and hold it here until you can afford to finish the long block with a cam and timing set and heads we can do that and complete and ship it when complete.

If you have any other questions please feel free to shoot me a PM.

Thanks,
Leo
Old 01-14-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with RedTop.... If you really set up a "realistic" budget, and define a clear list of goals, and a definite plan, you will see the "real" cost of a build like this. I am in the process of building up a forged, max effort 347 and i am well into 10,000 dollars in parts and labor. So if you dont want to dig yourself into a deep hole, then take a step back, and take a breath of fresh air...
Now, check the forsale section in this forum, and look at all of the longblocks for sale, and then do what most people on such a limited budget would do. Throw nitrous at it. Just saving yourself a BIG headache.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:42 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CXP thanks for considering us for your 408 short-block. With over 40 engines in stock we go out of our way to make sure we keep the most popular combinations in stock at all times! We've seen our base standard short-block make over 1000rwhp!!

Please feel free to give us a call if you have any questions on that short-block. The TSP 408 should work very well for you & is a complete proven package with parts we've all seen stand up to years of abuse!
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 01-14-2008, 01:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BigBirdTA
1) FAST 90 intake with 90mm TB. Ported intake is best, but at the very least port-matched to the head intake ports.
2) A stock replacement Melling oil pump with the blue spring.
3) Underdrive pulley with matching belts.
4) Cam + heads + timing chain
5) Poly motor mounts or at the very least put a new set of stockers in there.
6) Set some money aside to put brand new sensors
7) 16* thermostat
8) Injectors sized for your goals N/A and any power adder you plan in the future.
9) Valvecover breather for crankcase ventilation.
10) Delete PCV system or at the very least install a catch can.
11) Tune, you will need one
12) Buy or rent a 2 ~ 3 ton hoist to lift the body off the K-member.
Thnks for pointing that out, i forgot about the oil pump, the other stuff will come whit the 2nd stage.. what i need to read now is the pros and cons of the 160 stat . im not so sure about that
Old 01-14-2008, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 99mongooSS
youll need knock sensor ext. I believe and something is different about the cam sensor than on an ls1, so look into that.
thnks i will check on the cam sensor never hear about it.

Originally Posted by 418redz28
check with a local welding shop and see if the oil pan can be repaired.
i will try to weld it myself. but they go for real cheap sometimes at ebay so if i vcan get a cheapo one i will take it

Originally Posted by RedTtop6spd
Do you still have the stock 10 bolt? Plan on that going shortly after the swap. Stock clutch? Not going to last too long behind a 408.

I don't think you're going to get as much as you're hoping for from your stock pieces, so I wouldn't factor in any money from them for your build. Even after you've come up with a complete list of things, there's going to be enough in random extras you didn't think of that will take up at least as much as you're going to get from the sale of your parts.

Someone correct me if I'm thinking wrong, but I think that a 383 stroker LS1 build might be a cheaper option? Might get you closer to where you want to be with the budget you have in mind.

Just my $.02. Either way, good luck with your build.
We all know that with this performance mod's is a neverend story spending money but well we like this hobby right . i got 4k for the engine only i have some more for the extras(i need to check more about this items). and i want to sell the old parts not only because i want money out of them .. .just because i will not need them. I have been looking and all the stock parts go for real cheap but every penny counts so they have to go

Originally Posted by WeberRacingEquipment
We have our Stage 1 408 on sale for $3475! Here is a link to it here:http://weberracing.net/Engine-Type-G...duct_info.html

Shoot me a PM with your location and I can let you know what you are looking at as far as freight goes.

If you wanted us to build your engine and hold it here until you can afford to finish the long block with a cam and timing set and heads we can do that and complete and ship it when complete.

If you have any other questions please feel free to shoot me a PM.

Thanks,
Leo
you got pm thnks for the attention

Originally Posted by Brad Hutchcraft
I agree with RedTop.... If you really set up a "realistic" budget, and define a clear list of goals, and a definite plan, you will see the "real" cost of a build like this. I am in the process of building up a forged, max effort 347 and i am well into 10,000 dollars in parts and labor. So if you dont want to dig yourself into a deep hole, then take a step back, and take a breath of fresh air...
Now, check the forsale section in this forum, and look at all of the longblocks for sale, and then do what most people on such a limited budget would do. Throw nitrous at it. Just saving yourself a BIG headache.
nitrous is not an option.. maybe a SC or TC in a year or something..and well im trying to research the most i can to spend my money wisely.

Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA
CXP thanks for considering us for your 408 short-block. With over 40 engines in stock we go out of our way to make sure we keep the most popular combinations in stock at all times! We've seen our base standard short-block make over 1000rwhp!!

Please feel free to give us a call if you have any questions on that short-block. The TSP 408 should work very well for you & is a complete proven package with parts we've all seen stand up to years of abuse!
You guys have been very helpfull, i will check out everything twice before buy and see if a long block is a better option
Old 01-14-2008, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cxpcman: PM Sent
Old 01-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Banned

Got back to ya on that PM. Let me know if there is anything else so we can get the ball rollin on this thing!

Thanks,
Leo