Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Going APS TT---Have Some Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going APS TT---Have Some Questions

This will be my first turbo setup. For those that have installed this system, what would you suggest to "Upgrade"? Or what would you have done different in hindsight? My engine internals are stock for now.

How well do the following items affect performance?

90/90
cam....( not sure but like the ms4)
UD pulley
42lb SVT inj
electric cutouts
Old 01-12-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Regular

The 90/90 won't be worth the expense on a turbo engine as air is already being forced through the TB and intake. Not that they wouldn't help some but not as much as a all motor engine and they cost so much.

Turbo engines need different cams than other types. If that's your Z06 in the sig pic then your factory cam is already pretty good for a turbo, in fact I would leave it in unless you have a well established turbo engine builder or knowledgeable cam grinder spec you a replacement. Turbos build higher exhaust backpressure than boost so a cam with little over lap (wide lobe separation like the z06 at 117* and a smaller exhaust duration than intake like your cam are usually the turbo specs. Leave it in, it's actually a turbo cam.

UD will increase accelleration mainly from reducing crankshaft wieght and slightly by reducing accessory drive speeds. I would use a lighter wieght aluminum pulley in the stock size to achieve 80% of the gain but still have adequate alternator output at idle. Been there done that, low voltages at idle cause all kinds of weird stuff that is best to avoid.

Injectors are good idea, ask the turbo kit maker what size they recomend for your intended boost and mods. Upgrade the fuel supply system also with things like larger pump kits and or a voltage booster that is turbo boost referenced.

Exhaust cutouts? LOL This won't work with a turbo. They elimate back pressure in the exhaust by venting into open air. The exhaust has to go through the turbos to build boost, if you by-pass them they will do nothing. And if you were thinking putting them in after the turbos then once again it's a no go. Here's that deal, the turbos reduce exhaust noise so much that most people run strait pipe off of them anyways, no mufflers to by-pass with cut-outs. So save that money and run without mufflers, if you think cut-outs sound good you'll miss some of the noise with open turbos.

I recommend your order and read the book Maximum Boost by Corkey Bell. It's easy to follow and is full of invaluable information on turbo charging.

Vernon
Old 01-12-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, I agree. That is if you're running mufflers or catalatic convertors and you install the cut-outs directly behind the turbos. But if your running off road open pipe from the turbos back then I doubt it's worth the trouble and expense.

Vernon
Old 01-12-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Huh, many people with street driven turbo cars use cut outs after the turbo because they keep the mufflers and cats. They will allow the turbo to spool up faster.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info. I was thinking about the cutouts since I will be loosing my headers. Currently I am running Kooks 3in into corsa pace cars. I love the sound. Part of what has stopped me from doing the turbo, is loosing the sound. As I said, this is my first turbo appplication. I have allways ran N20, and currently do, however I am getting a smoking deal on this system.

Im sure I will have more questions as the install time gets closer.
Old 01-13-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TXZ0603
Thanks for the info. I was thinking about the cutouts since I will be loosing my headers. Currently I am running Kooks 3in into corsa pace cars. I love the sound. Part of what has stopped me from doing the turbo, is loosing the sound. As I said, this is my first turbo appplication. I have allways ran N20, and currently do, however I am getting a smoking deal on this system.

cut outs are just fine........some people are idiots.....your turbos will spool faster with the down pipes opened up.
Old 01-13-2008, 09:05 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not an idiot, far from it so FO. How many turbo or supercharged cars have you owned? The turbos will spool even faster than open down pipes if he takes that money and applies it to an electronic boost controller. Besides some people drive their cars on the street and don't spend all day at the track. I wan't my stuff to work all the time. Besides that if he runs cut-outs before any emmissions he's risking big fines and not being able to drive if if he finds the right cop. So if your going to go cut-outs and be illegal you might as well run a big down pipe to open pipe in the first place, again bringing the benefit down to nill.

Vernon
Old 01-13-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TXZ0603

Hey no problem guy, I hope I was of some help. I hope this thread doesn't turn into crap, some people have no respect and measure faster in milliseconds. I don't sweat the milliseconds.

Vernon
Old 01-13-2008, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
I'm not an idiot, far from it so FO. How many turbo or supercharged cars have you owned? The turbos will spool even faster than open down pipes if he takes that money and applies it to an electronic boost controller. Besides some people drive their cars on the street and don't spend all day at the track. I wan't my stuff to work all the time. Besides that if he runs cut-outs before any emmissions he's risking big fines and not being able to drive if if he finds the right cop. So if your going to go cut-outs and be illegal you might as well run a big down pipe to open pipe in the first place, again bringing the benefit down to nill.

Vernon
Well lets see how about a camaro with a t101 on it that is 90% street driven and raced on the street with lots of friends in the same boat...oh and lets see...one of them runs in the 6's and the quarter mile..and another runs mid 8,s with a simular set-up as me...so yes I have years of insight....and the spool time is very measurable with a cut out in fact I have seen gains out 70hp when the exhaust is by passed through a cut out....so what do you know!!!!???? Also i'm sure this guy is not stupid and was thinking of running cut-out before the turbo and a good boost controller is a must for any set-up..
Old 01-13-2008, 10:54 AM
TECH Regular

Damn, LOL, I am an idiot! You win smart guy. I'm not into internet pissing contests. To try to pin down exactly what I meant when I say "open pipe vs. mufflers" on this car with a guy who doesn't know me at all and right off the bat calls me an idiot then drags in every friends car or dyno pull he's ever witnessed isn't anything I care to do. I'm not like you at all. In example, why not answer questions with your great knowledge instead of looking for percieved mistakes to jump on and brow beat other members trying to help another? I never said TXZo603 was stupid, but it does show how you assume things about people so you can talk **** to them. Later alligator.

I'm checking out of this thread, TXZ0603 I'm local to you so PM me if you want any more of my opinions, I'd be glad to tell you mine and let you make up your own mind on what you want to do with your car. Get that book, it will allow you to make good decisions and protect yourself from getting screwed over spending good money for bad results. And if you ever go out towards Marble Falls stop by Corky Bell's shop and talk with him, he's a great guy and has more knowlegde about turbos than 99% of us here.

Vernon
Old 01-13-2008, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

WOW

lots of tension here.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 01-13-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Manic Mechanic
Damn, LOL, I am an idiot! You win smart guy. I'm not into internet pissing contests. To try to pin down exactly what I meant when I say "open pipe vs. mufflers" on this car with a guy who doesn't know me at all and right off the bat calls me an idiot then drags in every friends car or dyno pull he's ever witnessed isn't anything I care to do. I'm not like you at all. In example, why not answer questions with your great knowledge instead of looking for percieved mistakes to jump on and brow beat other members trying to help another? I never said TXZo603 was stupid, but it does show how you assume things about people so you can talk **** to them. Later alligator.

I'm checking out of this thread, TXZ0603 I'm local to you so PM me if you want any more of my opinions, I'd be glad to tell you mine and let you make up your own mind on what you want to do with your car. Get that book, it will allow you to make good decisions and protect yourself from getting screwed over spending good money for bad results. And if you ever go out towards Marble Falls stop by Corky Bell's shop and talk with him, he's a great guy and has more knowlegde about turbos than 99% of us here.

Vernon
Wow is right ....i think it is safe to assume we all know what you are talking about and you asked me what I know and what ive got so I gave you some..don't be mad at me for that.....i'm just here to steer this guy in a better direction about cut outs and im going to give it to him straight....and just dyno result are important!!!! THEY ARE PROOF! It doesn't matter whos car it was on......It is fact that when i data log my car the turbo spools faster with a cut out cause I logged it .....also I did answer the question...its just not what you wanted to hear and when i said idiot didn't state your name by it you just took it take way..........The guy asked about cut outs and I gave him a real answer....they work good for the street and help turbo performance....he did ask about boost controllers or cost involved.

Last edited by otherwhitemeat; 01-13-2008 at 02:42 PM.