Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

Anyone who can help please enter

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 07:37 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone who can help please enter

The problem is one of my Pilot Sport A/S tires keeps leaking air. I took it to the Yahoos I bought it from (Sears) to be fixed. This is the 2nd time they have fixed it. They are telling me that the cause is that my rim is corroded and the chrome is coming apart and peircing the tire. They told me that they grinded it down and that in about 3 months it will probably go flat again. Well 5 days later it is leaking air again. Has anyone ever heard of this happening? I am thinking they are telling me BS to get out of replacing the tire? Any help you be great.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yeap the bead surface of the wheel can go bad. They should show it to you . . .
Old 01-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Launching!

i've got the same problem, try some of the foam tire sealant/fix a flat stuff.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:51 AM
TECH Addict

Yep, have seen it happen plenty of times before. I know at our shop we had a can of what seemed like rubber cement but it was black. We would clean the rim off with a wire brush and then apply this stuff HEAVY all around the bead. When it would dry it would essentially turn into rubber and seal it up (takes maybe a few minutes to dry completely). But in some cases if the wheel was REALLY bad that did not fix it.

Ask to see it next time.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's called "bead sealer" any tire shop will know what you are talking about......
corrisioin on your rim/bead is whats causing this problem.....ask for a clean and seal at your local tire shop.......also nitrogen will stop slow leaks because the molecules in nitrogen are larger than oxygen, and there is no moisture in nitrogen.....thats what caused the corrosion on your rim to begin with........use nitrogen it is less likely to leak....
absolutly do not put fix-a-flat or slime in yout tires......it will ruin your rims as well as throw your tires out of balance.......
trust me

john
Old 01-16-2008, 09:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ls1leadfoot
it's called "bead sealer" any tire shop will know what you are talking about......
corrisioin on your rim/bead is whats causing this problem.....ask for a clean and seal at your local tire shop.......also nitrogen will stop slow leaks because the molecules in nitrogen are larger than oxygen, and there is no moisture in nitrogen.....thats what caused the corrosion on your rim to begin with........use nitrogen it is less likely to leak....
absolutly do not put fix-a-flat or slime in yout tires......it will ruin your rims as well as throw your tires out of balance.......
trust me

john

thanks guys. I will try that. I was afraid I would need to buy a new rim and I really don't have $$$ for that right now.

Last edited by highwaywonderland; 01-16-2008 at 09:07 AM.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:38 PM
Banned

Some of the tire shops around Shreveport are inflating their tires with helium for $2.00 extra. They claim that it won't seep out or change pressure in extreme temperature changes .
Old 01-16-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if there just painted aloys u can usually get em to seal but if there chrome and flaking real bad i havnet had much success for them to hold more then a few monhts
Old 01-17-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Z ROADSTER
Some of the tire shops around Shreveport are inflating their tires with helium for $2.00 extra. They claim that it won't seep out or change pressure in extreme temperature changes .
Then your car will float away!